Calm Before the Strom

"Thanks, Pops." I say as we make it to Cormac's place. I hop out of the car as Cormac runs out to meet us.

"Damn it, Kyla. I'm so sorry."

"I'm fine really. It's just-" I look back at Pos who's listening in on our conversation.

"Can we talk inside?" I ask him. He nods and thanks Pops as he grabs my bag. We walk inside and we settle on the couch after sitting my stuff into my temporary room.

"He wouldn't do that, Ky." Cormac tries to reassure me just as Pops did. I sigh.

"Just listen, okay? Beau has cared for you from the moment he met you yes?"

"Well yeah bu-"

"I dont just mean taking care of you, I meant he's cared about you." He emphasizes.

"He's just worried for your mental well-being, I promise." I smile as I get an idea.

"Well then, will you tell him I'll feel better if he lets me help find that guy living in the woods tonight?" He looks at me in surprise.

"How'd you know about that?"

"It was on the squad car radio." I shrug. He shakes his head and messes up my hair.

"You little shit." He teases.

"Let me make call. I'm sure something can be arranged."

_________________________________________

"Is this really necessary?" I ask Beau angrily as I'm pulled around by a team of officers as they attempt to fit two bullet proof vests on me.

"Yep." He says simply, scowling as one of the officers tells him only one will fit on me. Sighing, I walk up to him.

"Look, I'll stay right behind you, okay? I won't even be in his sights. I promise." I put my pinkie out for his to lock onto. He does so with a small smile and he nods.

"Fine. Remember, if you can see him, you're not far enough behind me."
_________________________________________

"Hello again." The strange man says to Cassie as he's cuffed by officers. I pull away from Beau's back and look at him. Huh. He kind of has a sweet looking face. Doesn't look like a killer. Then I remember that there's a high chance that he killed the three people who's bodies I found, and I step right behind Beau again.

"Is it over?" I ask Beau as he walks over to me after they finish checking out the cabin.

He doesn't tell me that Hoyt and Dewell don't seem to think it's over. He can't tell me that, because he knows they're right.

"It's over, Kyla." I smile in relief and I say goodbye as Cormac comes to take me to where I still have to stay even though it's "over."