Camping

"Her mom? No fucking way." I say, exasperated. Beau just got back from a long day and I've been moving my stuff around the RV Beau resides in. It's a lot bigger than it looks and it's surrounded by a beautiful plot of land. I can see why he likes it out here.

"Language." He warns.

"That's terrible. At least mine asks for money and can't trick me out of it." He hums in thought, sitting next to me on a cozy chair on his porch after his long day.

"Speaking of, has she said anything since the last time she requested?" He asks me.

"Well when I didn't give her any money, she just requested again." I shrug.

"Keep ignoring it. She's sure to make her way here to see why." He assures. I shrug.

"I don't really care if she does. But if she does, please don't let her fool you. Trust me she'll do everything to down play what she did." He nods.

"Was she really there during the school year.?" He asks me. I shake my head.

"I had her hire two people to cover my shifts during the school days. She'd be here every once in a while then she'd leave again." Beau deflates against the chair.

"I'm sorry, Kyla." I shrug

"No one before Cormac had any suspicions at all?" He asks me. I shake my head.

"It was my fault. I made sure people never got suspicious. I was so dead set on protecting the store. It meant a lot to me. But I guess it only did because that's all I've known." I shrug.

"It was never fun or ideal. But I loved the regulars. The only highlight I've ran into lately before this was Cormac."

"You're too young for him." He points at me.

"Platonically, Beau. Ew, c'mon!" He puts his hands up in surrender.

"Okay, okay." He laughs.

"If you're worried about Emily, set Cormac as her guard dog."

"I don't want to be too overbearing." He shakes his head.

"I have an idea." I say after a few minutes of silence.

"If it has anything to with the case, no." He warns.

"No, no. There's just a lot going up in the woods right now, so I'm just saying, and extra set of eyes and ears in the woods might be beneficial." I start to suggest. He turns to me, interested.

"What are you suggesting?" He asks.

Beau, I want to go camping."
______________||||______________

"No." Cassie and Hoyt say together.

"Too late. Already paid. And she promised to stay near Cormac to keep safe." Beau shrugs as they watch the girl pack her bag.

"Also, we got radios so we can talk whenever." Kyla explains holding hers up and Beau does the same with his.

"You think Emily or Avery won't notice your voice?" Jenny deadpans.

"I'm gonna plug my headphones into them." She says bouncing in excitement.

"We have code words too." He gushes.
The two women look at each other.

"We don't wanna know." They say.

"C'mon. It'll be fun." Kyla says.
____________|||____________

"Cormac!" I yell as he walks into Cassie's office. I hug Beau and run to the door he just walked into.

"Hey little detective. Ready to got to camp? I gotta go trailing when we get back."

"Ready, Cowboy." He grabs my bag and winks to the group of adults, who wave at him. We talk as he drives to his mom's campground. As we arrive, I see how amazing the camp looks. Places to rest, big tents, and lots of people around. I see a group of people walk to us as we grab my things and walk towards them as well.

"Welcome, Newcomer! You must be Kyla. I'm sure you know me if you're my sons special guest. I have to say I'm surprised by how young you are." She shakes my hand and looks at Cormac.

"Special guest? I don't know about that but, uh, Cormac is good friends with my legal guardian. He asked him to fit me in. I work at the supplies store he comes in at least once a day." I explain to the group. They all nod and Sunny keeps her bright smile. It's a little unsettling honestly.

"Well, Cormac says you're quite shy so, he'll be your buddy throughout, unless you say otherwise. I'm assuming he filled you in on our rules?" I nod.

"Great, everyone meet Kyla." She introduces me to the other guests. They wave.

"Whats that on your belt?" An older man asks, standing next to a girl around my age. They must be Emily and Avery.

"It's a walkie talkie. Goes directly to my guardians matching one. He may be willing to let me go here but he's very very paranoid." I laugh.

"Reminds me of my dad." Emily laughs. I look to see a guy with a cut on his head.

"What happened?" I say pointing to it.

"Fell." He says cryptically. I look at Emily to see her eyeing him. Hmm...

"Cormac will take you to your tent." Sunny says to me. He grabs my shoulder and leads me to a tent that looks like it could pass for a studio apartment, save for the kitchen and bathroom.

"That's Luke. He and his girlfriend went missing yesterday. Emily found him last night with cuts on him, his story is crazy, no one believes him.

"She's still missing?" He nods.

"Apparently she went back to New York. My moms been getting texts from her.." he says.

"But we don't know if they're real." I finish. He nods again.

"Who else has been pushing the subject?" He hesitates to tell me.

"Emily." He says a. I sigh. Of course.

"Lion to Tiger. Do you copy?" Beaus says through the device on my hip.

"Don't tell him, okay?" He asks.

"What? Why? This could be important, I mean what if Paige was murdered and Luke is the one sending the texts.?" I try to convince him.

"Listen this is my family's livelihood we're talking about. He could shut us down with the snap of a finger. Besides they might not be fake and everyone could be okay, and you bothered him for nothing, okay?" He pleads.

"Fine." I pick up the radio.