$100

"So tell us about you, Kyla. We'd like to get to know you better seeing as you've attached yourself to Beau's shadow." Cassie jokes. They all sit in her new living room after exchanging gifts and pleasantries.

"Well, there's not much to me other than I taught myself how to run my moms business."

"No, come on. Any hobbies or passions?" They all look at the girl as she thinks.

"I like to hike. I mean we are in Montana, so that's a given. I used to draw a lot before I got busy with the store. And I'm quite observant." Kyla shrugs as she rattled off random things about her.

"Well, you need that in a good detective." Jenny shrugs. Kyla pats Beau on the shoulder and points to Jenny as of to say 'see?'

"Okay, don't encourage her quite yet, she's still a kid." He says, waving his arms dramatically.

"So Kyla why did you choose to stay with Beau? I know it's better than foster care but, I mean it couldn't have been an easy decision. He has been a stranger up until today." Jenny asks.

"Well, honestly, it's mostly logical. He's the sheriff, already has a kid my age, will know when to give me space. I know he doesn't have any ill will, and honestly, he's been more a parent to me today than my mom ever has." Kyla tells them. Jenny scoffs in agreement.

"I'm with you." She says.

"Also. I really like it here. This place is amazing and I wouldn't want to be any where else. Also if he pisses me off I have you two on my side so.." they laugh as Beau spits out his drink.

"Language."
Both women look at Beau as Kyla gets up to get some more grape juice that the adults got for her.

"You seem proud of yourself, cowboy. Excited to have a little protégé?" Cassie teases.

"She acts a lot like me, doesn't she?" He asks with a smile. Both women laugh at him.

"You should adopt her. Have her mom sign the papers as part of a deal." Jenny suggests, and Cassie nods.

"I don't know her that well yet you guys, cool it, k?"

"Oh but you will. She's yours now, sheriff." Cassie teases.

Kyla comes back a few minutes later to look over Beaus shoulder as he sends a text to his daughter.

"Woof." She sighs along with the word.
"Not delivered. Must be out of service." he says, awkwardly, fighting the urge to go up there and see whats going on.

"Cormac says they have sat phones all around the camp. She'd find a way to contact you if anything happened." Kyla assures him.

"You think?" He asks as she sits down.
"Yeah. Her dad is the sheriff, if anything were to happen to her, hell would freeze over." She says, sipping her juice out of a wine glass.

"You know the same goes for you now, right?" He says turning to her. Kyla looks at the other adults, who nod in agreement. The three adults cheers and drink as well.

They start to talk about their day when Cassie brings up an old case.

"Heart cut out?" Kyla ask, disgusted.

"May be we shouldn't discuss this with the kid around." Jenny suggests. Kyla waves her off and sits forward in the seat. She looks at Beau and he sighs, producing the $100 bill from his wallet, handing it to her.