Comfort

"I'm sorry she made you upset." I tell Cormac after he comes back from his date with Cassie. She'd pushed him a little much about his family and all it did was make him doubt more.

"Yeah well, it's not like she's wrong. It's just- to realize you've been lied to your entire life. I don't know what to do."

"I think you need to talk to your parents. Find out. Don't give up until you do." I say simply, sitting back on the couch next to him. He shrugs and looks to the floor.

"Have you talked to Beau at all?" He asks me. I nod.

"It's like he's scared to talk to me about anything related to what happened. We only talk for like a minute at a time too. But, he's the Sheriff. He must be busy."

"Look, he told me not to tell you but he has been checking in on how you are." I furrow my brows.

"What does he have a camera on me or something?" I joke.

"Yeah, me." He ruffles my hair and gets up from the couch. He grabs his phone from the kitchen and shows me his text with Beau. I chuckle.

"I know he cares and all. I just don't want to be too much for him to handle." I say as I look at the texts.

"Current BPM: 78? Cormac!" He laughs as I read one of his texts.

"He was asking so many questions, and you have that smartwatch that tells your heartbeat. I had to shut him up somehow. Look at his response." He sits back down, less stressed than before.

Beau: Is that healthy? Hold on I'll look it up.
Beau: Yep. All good.

I laugh.
"Look, you have caused no trouble whatsoever for him, really. It's not that he wanted you to stay with me. If he had it his way you'd still be drinking apple juice late into the night on the porch of his trailer talking about nothing. But you're safer here for now. They're still trying to figure out exactly what happened." I nod at his words.

"Kyla." I look at him.

"I know you haven't been sleeping since you saw Mary and Luke's bodies." I sigh.

"Can you blame me?" I ask him. He shakes his head.

"But the adults are worried for you." He says with his own worried frown.

"You told them." I sigh. He nods.

"I'll be okay. Once everything is fully squared away and the monster that put me in those situations in the first place is convicted, I'll be fine. Plus like you said. My support system is as big as Alaska." I try to lighten the mood. He chuckles and shakes his head.

" Well try to get some sleep, okay?" He tells me before heading to bed himself. He stops at the doorway with an 'ah!'

"I'm gonna drop you off with Denise and Cassie tomorrow. I have some things to do. Emily will be there."