Cat Dragged in Trash

"Someone help me! Please!" The voice yells as the person run into the station. The cops swarm around her as she stops in the middle of the room, hysterical.

"It's my daughter! She's missing! Please!" Poppernac runs to her as well as I try to stop him. I sigh as everyone starts asking her questions. Look what the cat dragged in. Perfect.

"What's her name ma'am?" Pops asks the "startled" woman.

"Kyla Kiernan." Pops looks back at me as I walk into the room. He takes out his phone as he steps outside

"Kyla!" My mom yells dramatically. I roll my eyes as she runs to me for a hug.

A few minutes of silence passes and I bring my mom into Beau's office and gesture for her to sit down as I close the door. She looks around for a minute to make sure no one is looking before she give me her sour look.

"Are you crazy?" She whispers. I raise my brows as I sit down across from her.

"What ever do you mean?" I ask sarcastically. She scoffs as she shakes her head.

"You think you're so tough now all you want, you little shit. When we get home I swear to God." She grits her teeth at me.

"Oh because hell has frozen over if the money I made you runs out." I shrug.

"What's your problem? Why are you here at a police department and not at The Stop, Kyla?" I lean forward in my seat, flabbergasted at her audacity, not noticing the legion of grown-ups barging into the office.

"I'm a child. I shouldn't be running an entire business, especially one I didn't start and didn't ask for. I have worked my ass off ever since you started to neglect not only the store, but me, Martha. And you have the gall to talk to me like that?" My mother looks at Beau as he walks to his side of the desk, toward me. Its then that I finally notice everyone in the room. I smile sheepishly at Cassie and Jenny. I look at Beau as he grabs my shoulders.

"Excuse me, get your hands off of my daughter." My mother says and once again I find myself rolling my eyes. Beau stands straight but keeps his hand on my shoulder.

"I'm Sheriff Beau Arlen, ma'am." My mother brightens as he lets her know who he is.

"Well, Sheriff. Thank you so much for finding my daughter." Everyone looks at me and I shrug. My mom reads the room and looks on in confusion.

"That's not what this is, Ms. Kiernan. You see, we have evidence and eyewitnesses that say you have been neglecting your daughter. Leaving her, not just to fend for herself, but to run an entire business on her own. That'd be an impossible feat for even an adult, but not my Kyla, nuh uh." Beau digs into his desk and hands documents to my mom.

"Your Kyla?" My mom look of confusion turns into an incredulous one.

"These are temporary custody papers I have acquired from the state,-" He stops mid-sentence.

"Pops, why don't you take Kyla for a milkshake, eh?" Beau lifts me from the chair and nudges me toward the door after giving me some cash. I don't protest out of confusion. I'm lead out to a squad car as I pout.

"I really thought I'd be able to see her get owned." Pops chuckles.

"You did that all on your own. Nice job throwing her name in there, She flinched like she's a middle child."

_______________________________________________________________

"Oh! You should probably tell Cassie and them. I talked to Cormac while he was at his parents. I told him to stay the night there. I didn't tell him what happened, but I can imagine when he's told who found the body he'll come looking for me." I say. He nods, eating a milkshake-dipped fry and taking out his phone to text someone.

Minutes later, he gets a text back. He stops in his tracks as he reads it. Sighing, he tells me,

"Beau wants you to stay with Cormac for a while." My doubt settles in once again.

"Oh."

"You didn't do anything, Kyla. I promise. This is purely for your safety, okay? Beau is taking care of Emily for the moment, considering everything with Avery." He says. I nod in understanding, looking down.

"Kyla, its not what you're thinki-" I cut him off.

"Pops, can we just go please?" I ask. He nods and we head to Beau's to get