Chapter Thirty-Two

whenever i listen to this song, it reminds me so much of the tension and waiting between our protagonists

🌺

April

Bodie Banks' bench trial was to be in March 2022. Puzzlingly, it was locomoted to August 19th 2024. Rumour has it it was to conserve the legislation. Wimborne Court is placed in the city centre, ten roads ahead of the Industry Tower that bestrides the void skies. Dad directs me through the cameras, reporters and protestors of Bodie Banks. Banners are hoisted in the sacred name. I have to raise an arm up to preserve my face from the captures. The outdoor corridors of Wimborne Court are quieter, though much worse. Sitting in a central row, apprehension eats my nerves and pricks off the flesh beneath my nails.

Dad is the Chief Constable at Edgewater Police Department. He is in the uniform — his Captain badges pinned to his right, his cap lowered on his empty side. "It is not common for a good soul to receive a good justice. Today changes that."

Camila De La Cruz is on the right side of the courtroom. Her blond hair is plaited in a dull glow, her face freckled of acne. Surprising, really. Camila is popular for the perfect model skin. This could be irrelevant, but in a variety of cultures — especially Sri Lanka —, there is this notion of evil eye. Negative, ruthless sentiments that have an energetic impact on the one receiving it.

Aashi Varma is beside her. My nervousness modifies into fury. Bitterness. Hatred. Destiny Byrne is picking at her stylish, recently-done acrylic nails. Her and several women, men and girls straighten their hunched figures as seven powerful individuals enter the curvature chamber. The door has been banging shut within each arrival. This time, the thud wobbles the floorboards.

A black Rolex clasped on his right wrist, he moved into the first row booked for his family and him. The second he sits down, he spreads an arm across the spine of the bench, his cousin Penelope dropping beside him. She talks to him. He merely stares at her, unresponsive, and finally gives into the urge to discern me sandwiched between Ethan and Dad. A pliancy spurs. The sort to make me blush and squeal like a stupid little girl. The sort to kick my legs in the air and hurl myself onto the bed.

Jasmine is studying law at Edinburgh. Naila is studying at a fashion school in New York. Theo joined Real Madrid to start his football career; meanwhile he is studying Maths in case of a back-up. Ines and I are living in London: she has an apprenticeship in architecture; I'm studying Criminology and Sociology; in the meantime, I'm working as a Sales Associate at Bonheur's store in Canary Wharf. I'm considering to start my own art franchise — buy a studio, sell my talent for millions; it's an easy way to get money, a good side hustle, plus it's my favourite hobby — ding, ding, ding. The only problem is the marketing.

Tanner is living in Oxford, studying Politics. Derek travelled worldwide for the rest of 2022 to 2023. In 2024, he moved to live in Japan for two months, with the married couple Marlene and Lin Takada-Everston, apparently to spend time with Lin's parents, whom Derek considers as his own grandparents. Then, he spent the next few months in Germany. He returned to Edgewater a month ago, his skin more tanned that usual.

Those frequent conversations diminished — we had our priorities. What we all noticed is that the Matthews grew more and more distant.

But Derek and I connected faster than expected and intended. I noticed he spoke to me more, texted me more, and checked up on me more. At the same time, he was still cautious when we conversed — holding something back. The more time elapsed, the stronger my feelings for Derek grew too much. This passion I have for only him is unstoppable like a black hole, and I'm afriad it could cost the worst. I want to ask him out, but I'm shy. If I'm not shy, he gets interrupted, and that ruins my confidence.