Chapter Fourty-Four

Derek

April swiftly utters a prayer to Archangel Michael and recites the vows, sitting and lengthening her shoulders to exert optimism and confidence. "I heard Aasvhi Varma, Destiny Byrne and Camila De La Cruz discussing how they raped Bodie Banks at the girls' locker room, and that was when I knew they lied. It was when Edgewater Independent won a basketball game against Brixton Bay. We had a party in the school. I was in the hall. I was friends with the girls at that time." She winces. "Well, we were in a complicated situation."

"Do you mind divulging any personal information?"

"Sure. Such as what?"

"Tell us your friendship with the prosecutors. From the beginning, please."

"I was friends with the girls since Year 7. A strong bond, we had. Aasvhi, for instance, occasionally came to my house in pyjamas, sometimes in the middle of the night. We were sisters."

"Were you aware of their behaviour?"

April shakes her head. "No. I'm sorry I couldn't find out sooner. I feel so stupid for not looking properly, for being blind to their behaviour."

"Were you purposely blind?"

"I never saw it. I think I know why. It's because—" She flickers to the Chief Constable. "My father was a captain in the Armed Forces, so I rarely saw him. I rarely spoke to him. The lack of communication affected me. I just missed him. I was bullied in secondary for being Asian. South Asian, specifically. You would be surprised by how much of casual racism there are towards girls like me. People remarked on me as 'stinking of curry' and that I will 'never be beautiful'. It continued for years. I kept that situation to myself, but eventually my older brother found out. He gave me advice, to not care what others think. The next day, Aashvi came to me, furious that I didn't tell her what was happening. Mike must have told her. There was no way she found out alone. So Aasvhi reported the bullying to the teachers, and the bullying stopped."

Aunt Marlene senses the implication. "That convinced you Miss. Varma was good?"

"Little things like that made their true behaviour mind-blowing. I never thought they were capable of it."

"Did you stop being friends with Miss. Byrne first?"

"Yes. She cheated on Derek Matthews. I instantly told her I don't like her. I removed her from my socials—just any form of contact, really. I acted like she didn't exist to me, because it is horrible to know what she have done. She never felt bad about it, either. She hated me. She thought that my reaction was outlandish. She hated me even more when I confronted her of what she has done to Ines Chey. Principal Burrows is right. Destiny was insecure of her looks. When Ines joined Edgewater Independent for Sixth Form, she turned heads. Guys wanted her. There were so many new students, but everyone talked about Ines, and that angered Destiny. You see, the guys mostly paid attention to Camila and Destiny. They were the iconic, cliche, stereotypical 'it' girls. I even think that, maybe, Camila also hated the popularity Ines received. So, Destiny researched Ines, stalked her social accounts, and found her ex called Holden Tasse. Destiny and Holden spoke for a while, and Holden said that he had nudes of Ines. Destiny asked for it. Holden gave it. Destiny leaked them to the whole school.

"The thing is that Holden Tasse was assaulting Ines. Destiny described the history as a 'relationship'. She practically sugarcoated it for her advantage. As a result, Ines went through a lot of harassment and catcalling for a good half-term."

"How did you feel about that?"

"Can I swear?"

"Yes," replies Judge Vella.