Chapter Forty

Derek

Onlookers of the defence leaps to their feet in indignation and loured daggles at the guilty girls. I could sense the outcries sprinkling the reporters barricading the front of Wimborne Court. Aunt Marlene gradually revolves to me sitting at the front row, horrified and speechless.

I have always mentioned how I used to be a good friend of Bodie. I never elucidated how that friendship birthed. Sure, I did not solely help Bodie by purchasing his drugs and gifting money, or paying news companies to make this movement public. His unconscious actions have rescued my purity.

"Quiet!" orders Judge Vella. "Order in the court! Order in the court!"

Police officers rushes to bolster the command, dashing at the guests to calm down. Five minutes later, there are whispers low enough to listen to the rest of Tanner's assertion.

I finally meet Aunt Marlene's dismay, tedious of flaring woe. "I suppose," she tries to keep her voice stable, "that is why you believe Bodie Banks would never harm a girl. Or anyone, for that matter."

Tanner nods. "Bodie was a good man. What he did to Derek has costed my family to owe him our lives. We are forever in debt to him."

Sensing his confession is completed, Aunt Marlene nods at the judge and returns to her seat, her posture tensed and sombre.

"Does the defence wish to make a comment?"

"Certainly," spites Alessandro, hastening to the front of Tanner. "If Derek Matthews was sexually assaulted, why has he not come forward?"

"Oh, he did. He told a police officer." Technically, it was Lin. "And he requested for this situation to be hidden from the media."

"Why?"

"If there is one thing I despise about Derek, then it is his selflessness. He never thinks for himself. He thinks for others. He knew that if he publisices this, the media will contaminate it. People look up to him. People could use this as a way to terrorise women, and it can further enhance the law's bias against women."

Alessandro scoffs. "That is not true."

"You are a fool to believe it is not an actual issue, Acierno. A celebrity, especially a very respected one like him, is appraised to be a justification to particular circumstances. If Derek has earned reverence for his exposure, if he tarnished the deceased man you titled as your king, what makes you doubt that his experience of sexual assault can enhance the gender prejudice within our societies? It can supply to the intersectionality of racism in this, too. Of course, I cannot speak for him, no matter how well I know him. If you want your answers, you must listen to his testimony next Monday."

***

The last to testify has raised prying inklings. Appearing to be in his twenties, of fine-blond hair and flawless, pale skin.

"State your name and your relevance," Alessandro tells him, once he is seated.

"Oliver Johnson. I worked with Bodie Banks in our job."

"Your job?"

"Drug trading."

The whispers roughen. My left brow arches in skepticism.

"I was sent by my boss," explains Oliver, "to help bring the righteous justice for Camila De La Cruz."

"Apologies, your 'boss'?"

"Yes. My boss. Bodie Banks's boss for the trading. He prefers to not be named. He wants the confidentiality to protect himself and his friends, but we can refer to him as Sir Director. He has been keeping up to date on this dilemma ever since it gained attention in the news. Sir Director and I both knew Banks extremely well. The truth is that he met Banks at Edgewater's Amazon warehouse operative, which was Banks's first job. The warehouse was one of the places that Sir Director would meet with his clients for bartering and programs. Over time, a friendly relationship was established, and three weeks later Sir Director offered Banks a deal. He promised to pay Banks £6,000 per week. Bodie did not want to do it, though the proposition was tempting. Soon enough, Banks accepted the deal and started to work for him in the same week the proposal was delivered."