Chapter Fifty-One

Derek

The untrustworthy are incarcerated in interim custody in the underground jail cells of the island. Various have been distributed to Azrael territories across the globe. Due to the vast quantity, Luke and Tanner do not have the efficient time to debrief each prisoner, and so Father Stychel, General Akamai, or other Senior Officials are the chief of these interrogations. None of them showed their faces. For each interview, they had to wear masks. Even if their faces are revealed, the viewers would be given an injection of amnesia.

Luciana May declared she did not know about the human trafficking ring. She was recently assigned to the director role a year ago. She was proven innocent. Spade offered to take her back to America with Azrael's protection. Luciana May argued she wanted to help; Luke made her an accomplice.

Luciana May went back to America to find other culprits in the CIA. She destroyed the guilty's sonar, she is regarding resignation. Murmurs lingered that the CIA Director had returned, subsequently being kidnapped by their nemesis. Resignation is the best, wisest and safest choice.

The doctor nethers his arms. "I don't care if you have a high pain tolerance. Sedation is reasonable."

Black, red and purplish bruises embroidered my body. Regardless of the electrocution, the hits to the face have blemished the plastic-surgery disguise to profoundly lacerate. I was right — my face is ruined. Disfigured. The nurses had to carefully peel off the different appearances, to notify that the plastic has left a shabby, crisscrossed scar beginning at the lower point of my right eyebrow to my chin. It could take years for it to mend, if not permanently scar.

The nurse made a noise in his throat at my stubborn defiance and started stitching. The needle pokes and jerks horizontally, emerging at the other side. I feel the string squeeze the gap close.

Luke, who has been visiting the infirmary these past three days, scowls his frustration and crosses his arms. "Your improvisation was reckless. It should have been me."

"No." The needle nears my eye. Tanner had to beat me in that cabin house, to not appear suspicious. "You should have seen their faces when they realized they did not capture Spade. Being the bait instead of you was far better."

"They were going to drown your face in the water. You could have died."

"You saved me before that could happen. What would you do if they managed to take off the mask?"

He understood. If the world found out who Spade is, and who Tanner and I are, what should the backlash be? "Depends on how many people know. If it is a small group, I will kill them."

"They are innocent."

"Some things must be done."

"If the group is not small ...?"

"Go with the flow."

"Any update on Agent Mandal?"

"Agent Mandal is a wanted man in the CIA. His son is safe. I just have to find a home. Prime Minister William Wilson offered to give both new passports and identities until this whole crisis is solved."

"How old is the son?"

"The son is fifteen. Uncle Thomas can get Edgewater Independent to fake a scholarship for him to study there."

"His wife ..."

Luke's lips thin miserably. "I know. Father Stychel and Uncle Tom found her. I sent them both to Nebraska when the Base guessed her whereabouts. At any rate, do you want to talk about what you did?"