Chapter Fifty-Eight

April

The escort is a classic Rolls Royce, guarded in a row of Range Rovers. In this car, it is Harlow, Penny and Halia Everston. The second car has my friends.

"I cannot wait to see Quinn," coos Penny. "Oh, April, he is the cutest baby ever!"

Quinn is Halia's son. She gave birth in May this year.

"You're not an Everston?" I ask.

Halia soothes her silk dress. "I am, but I don't have the titles. Neither does Xavier."

"A normal life," I say.

She nods. "A normal life. We both want that."

"So, how is it like to have my annoying cousin as your man?" Penny whisks to Harlow. "And as your dad?"

"He's fine," replies Harlow. "I like annoying him back."

Penny grins. "You are taking your cool aunt's advice after all. Perfect." She arches a brow at me. "I hope you are, too."

"It's hard."

Penny's grin falters. "I told you. Being with an Everston is easier than with a Matthews."

"What makes it hard?" inquires Halia, curious.

"The fame," I say. "I got over ten million followers on my socials."

"Everstons are secreted," muses Penny. "The Matthews are out in the open, the public's inside joke and honoured princes."

Halia winces. "Is the harassment awful?"

"So many awful comments. I already get scrutiny at my workplace."

"Because of your relationship?"

"Yes. It's okay. This is nothing." I look through the window. "I went through worse."

Penny stares at my hands. "That is why you are wearing that ring. Does Luke know about this? If you tell him what is happening at the Azrael, he can fix it."

"Yeah," says Harlow. She doesn't even know what the Azrael is — barely. "Uncle Luke can be scary sometimes. He's teaching me how to fight."

I stare at her. "He is?"

Harlow nods. "I know how to do an uppercut."

"Your grumpy grinch is scarier. Harlow dearest, I wonder at night how you survive. Being a Matthews son is one thing. A Matthews daughter?" Penny whistles. "You might be single for life. If you tell your dad or any of your uncles about a single boy—" Penny gestures a finger across her neck . "— that boy is poof."

"That won't happen." I smile at the little girl. "Because your dad is giving you everything, yes?"

"Yeah," says Harlow. "Dad said he will give me everything so I won't fall for a pathetic boy. If the guy has a lot of money and picks me up in a nice car, Dad will pick me up with an even better car. If the guy doesn't have a lot of money and cannot afford flowers, he wants me to expect at least hand-made flowers."

"Hand-made flowers?"

"Origami." Harlow looks at me. "Isn't that what your dad did to your mum?"

My smile pinches wider. "Yes."

Dad struggled with money a lot. He suffered so much that he could not even afford food to last for a week. When he was dating, the flowers were a bit too expensive. He felt awful — buying flowers for the love of your life is an essential attribute. Therefore, he taught himself origami. He made flowers out of coloured paper, and gave her one at the beginning of each week. I inherited my creativity from him.

It is the thought that counts. The little things.

"That is so freaking romantic," says Penny. "I want your dad."