prologue

The water fountain continued to sprinkle. Kids were running around the playground, laughing and having the time of their lives.

Not too far away, Y/N and Niki laid on a blanket. A basket was placed atop, with food laid out. So far, the picnic date was going well.

They'd been talking non-stop for hours. If anyone walked by, they'd probably think that the couple would run out of things to say.

Every minute of every second spent with Niki made Y/N the happiest girl in the world. Nothing compared to the way she felt about him.

It's like the world stopped whenever the two were together. The couple were practically inseparable.

Y/N believed that they were meant to be together for eternity. Everything always felt right and she could feel herself slowly falling in love even more.

As for Niki, he loved the time he spent with Y/N. But, the pressure of his parents became much more tormenting.

They wanted him to be this perfect son that could dance and sing. Yes, it was Niki's passion but hearing his parents talk about it non-stop was way too much.

On top of that, they believed that his relationship with Y/N would ruin his chances of success.

"Y/N, you know that I love you so much right?" Niki said, impatiently waiting for a reply.

"Of course, I love you too, Riki." Y/N said with a smile.

"And you know that I would never want to hurt you." He fixed his posture and sat up straight.

"Yeah. You seem uneasy, what's up?" Y/N questioned, her facial expression changed in an instant.

"Well.. I don't think I can do this." Niki said, trying to get the words out smoothly.

"Do what? The picnic?" Y/N continued, "If you didn't like it then you should've told me sooner. We could have gone to the sushi place at the plaza."

"No, not the picnic." He said as he grabbed Y/N's hands, "I mean, I don't know.. Us?"

"What?" Y/N mumbled, awkwardly laughing. "You're kidding.. Right?"

Niki only responded with silence, muttering, "I'm sorry, Y/N." Tears began to pile at the edges of Y/N's eyes, trying to mask her emotions.

Devastated was an understatement. Y/N was in shock, nothing compared to having her heart ripped out by the one person she loves the most.

The boy knew that she was feeling a whirlwind of emotions. He kept his hand atop of Y/N's, trying his best to console her.

"I just don't think we're going to work out in the long run. I want to chase after my dream but-" Niki tried to explain the sudden news in the best way he could.

"So that's what it is," Y/N stopped his further explanation. "You're choosing your dream over me?" The pools of water kept rolling down her cheeks. She quickly wiped them off before Niki could see.

"That's not what I meant, Y/N," Niki huffed. "To be a dancer, I can't get my personal relationships in the way.."

"Can't you just hide it?" Y/N began to raise her voice out of frustration. "I thought you said you loved me."

"Yes Y/N, I do love you and I will never stop loving you. Please understand.. 'Us' will only make my dream more difficult to grasp." Niki began to vent his frustration to her.

"If you loved me then you wouldn't break up with me." Y/N stated, her facial expressions were blank and hard to read now.

"This is the only solution, Y/N. We'll leave this relationship without any pain or regrets." Niki remorsefully added.

"You're wrong! I've loved you with all my heart and this is how you treat me? Treat us? You're just going to throw away everything we have?" Y/N demanded, tears now trailing down the side of her face.

"Y/N," Niki cupped her cheek, pain lingering on his face. "I loved you more than anything. You have to understand that I must pursue my dream."

"Then choose right now, Riki. Me.. Or  your dream?" She took his hand and pushed it away from her face.

This decision was tearing Niki apart. He never expected to have to choose one or the other. He took a deep breath, exhaling through his nose.

"I'm sorry, Y/N. I.. I choose my dream." Niki gathered his things and got up, slowly walking away from Y/N.

AUTHORS NOTE
After so long, I have decided to update the entire story! <3 It will take me a while but I wanted to publish the newer version of the prologue so you guys have something to look forward to. im not sure how long it will take to revise the story but i'll try my best to be quick!

thank you all so much for the support! :)