|10|

"It all started in the kitchen." I wiped my imaginary sweat off and fixed my veil feeling my palms really sticky yet dried I just squeezed my face.

"And that was the end of my story fa!" I sniffed again and used the butcher's knife to harshly cut another weird shape of the potato. "Mummy! You could just told me to peel the potatoes only." With pouted lips I chopped another size and continued my gripping.

"I understand you want me to learn how to cook because I'm 18 now, but please don't make me chop the potato again. I hate it Mamahhh. I used four different kinds of knives. I hate it!" I cried again and picked another potato thinking about how I would slaughter it like the rest. Trust me they do not look appealing in the eyes. I sighed and slaughtered the potato. It's not funny, I really slaughtered it... Harshly. Only I can understand what I meant.

"It's okay Amani suck it up. I have calculations to adhere to. And it's physics nothing to worry about." I said again to no one but my sad self. And so I thought...

I stopped in my murder and the hair on my neck rose as I re heard my voice and pathetic cries from gripping. I was freaking recorded by lord knows who?! Then I heard it, two Joker voiced criminals laughing their hearts out and I closed my eyes. "Send me a copy." I said sadly to them and chopped two more slices.

They laughed harder and I picked my bowl of hard work and washed them. I sighed again and turned to their direction. "Oh I will.. You don't need to tell me twice." I breathed in and strained the water and kept it aside. "Fareed love? Mum usually use frozen meat for her cooking right? Is it roasted of raw?" I asked acting all oblivion to what was happening.

" I don't know.." He laughed, while I open the freezer and heard my wonderful voice again from one of their adorable phones. "Use roasted." I think they were skimming sth bad cause u heard silence afterwards. Well who I'm I to beg?!

Soon my phone rang or let me just say vibrated cause I haven't chosen a ringtone that Fareed wouldn't judge. Okay I was lying, Apple products have cool ringtones just not loud so yeah I'm just lying. What I'm I saying?!

"Okayyy since you decided to answer my call now byeee" I didn't even say anything! I called her and placed my phone over my ear and in between my shoulder while I gently wash my hands that was suddenly dried sticky. Ughhh

"Congratulations on your achievement." It forcefully left my mouth and she just hissed. "Okay.. My new uni doesn't involve phones, they place jammers in the school to prevent communication or anything phone related. I'm gonna miss my tiktok and IG." She pouted at the end and my mind was just blank.

"So like.. No calls or sms?" I asked and she hummed making me feel a ping in my chest. "And all you care about is your stupid medias?!" I yelled at her and I overhead her laugh. "Duhh I mean, I'll miss my parents but most definitely..." And I was bracing myself to hear my Wonderful name on her list when she spoke..

"but most definitely... Not miss all the other idiots in my life. And yes you're among." I sighed and walked out of the kitchen looking sad. My eyes landed on my brother and then Aazil. It was then I noticed something about him. His hair! It's almost as curly as Fareeds but even darker. I subconsciously walked over squinting my eyes I smiled and squealed within me when I lightly touched his hair. It's not that soft but it felt surreal.

"Eww are you touching his head with those dirty hands?" Fareed said amongst furiously tapping and jerking on his joystick that they love to call 'pad' like why would they use that word?!

"What? Me? No.." I let it the no trail and I knew my lie was visible. Aazil slowly turned around with an arched grow and my heartbeat accelerated. All I want to do is run away and give Fareed a loud and steady slap. But seriously what was I doing?

He opened his mouth, I stared with wide eyes, he them looked away trying to say something then he closed it and looked back at me and instantly I smiled. A forced one and he started laughing which made my smile fall. "If you wanted to have a look you could have just asked." I scratched the back of my head and Fareed stared at him weirdly.

"Uhhhhmmmm... I have an assignment to adhere to." I said and quickly walked away. "I'm checking! Maybe ya na gidan nan!"(maybe he's in here!) I jerked my hands with my heart beating so fast when I heard a familiar voice. I just climbed a step when I turned around and saw Aazil's sister or cousin walk in.

I don't get it, do people just walk into houses without knocking?! I sighed and continued to climb the stairs lazily. Half way through I remembered what my mama assigned me to do. I groaned and walked back to the kitchen. Fareeda walked in and greeted me with a normal face and small smile and then we side hugged. I walked into the kitchen and opened another cabinet bringing out a marble looking pot and fetched some water. She'd definitely use the boiling water for cooking.

I turned the gas on and brought out other ingredients which are her spices that looked new and unused. I ignored it and walked out, now face to face with the parlor I saw Fareeda arguing with her cousin who I so don't wanna look for a weird reason I don't know and in time I heard little shuffling outside and I walked to the door. My mama is back! I quickly walked towards her and retrieved the bags she brought with her and she closed her car's door. "Welcome, where did you go to?" I asked her as we walked into the house together and the duo's argument seized.

"Good evening ma." Aazil started greeting and I felt like rolling my eyes at how nice he sounded. Fareeda came close and retrieved the other bags my mum was holding and then greeted her. Mum smiled and answered them. "Amani, come help me in the kitchen." How I hate that word. I nodded my head and unconsciously I turned towards my brother's direction only to find him staring a someone in the room. With an arched brow and a smirk I walked into the kitchen.

"Did I ask you boil water for me?" Mum complained again and I just wanted to undo all the things I worked hard for. "And look at these, is this how you see me chop them? It's not even neatly chopped." She complained again and I sighed. "But mum-" She interrupted me "Don't mum be now " She continued to yell and I tried lessen the tension. "Ok ok Hooyo.." She was silent and I smiled and then chuckled. My Mum never likes it if we call her Hooyo, it means mum is Somali.

"Amani_" She called and I quickly walked out before she could hit me. I chuckled and looked up towards where Fareed and Aazil are playing game and Fareeda on the sofa opposite Fareed. I smirked and looked towards my brother who in some occasion stares at her and then at the game. Well that never got unnoticed by me. I peeped at the kitchen, my Hooyo has already started cooking without me. What a relief.

"Muhammad lokacin ka ya kure." (Muhammad, your time has elapse.) I heard Fareeda's foreign voice and arched a brow. Who's Muhammad? "ke ki tafi inn kina so, gani nan zuwa.(you should just go if you want, I'm on my way) God! These guys need to stop speaking that way, it's hella annoying. I walked upstairs to continue my assignment.

"Hey Babe!" I froze on my spot.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~