TWO

(Before we start: I want to confirm that anything of the Parliament or of the Lords and/or Ladies could or couldn't be correct for I am not entirely sure. Apologies if the info is not correct, this is only my imagination! <3 Luna)

"Enola?" Tewksbury called as he searched Basilweather. "Enola!"

"She's in here, dear," his mother answered from the kitchen. Tewksbury walked into the kitchen to see Enola and his mother sitting at the table with cups of steaming hot tea. 

"Good morning," the young woman told him. Tewksbury smiled and answered the same as he sat in front of them. 

"Did you sleep well?" he asked. Enola nodded. 

"Amazing. Thank you for letting me stay here," she told both of them. 

"Of course, dearie, anytime," Lady Tewksbury smiled. 

"Is something wrong?" the young lord asked after a few moments of silence. Enola and Lady Tewksbury shared a look. 

"You're uncle," the Marchioness of Basilweather whispered after a while. "He's been gone since yesterday morning."

"But tonight is the ball," Tewksbury said. Lady Tewksbury nodded slowly. 

"I know. And he must attend as much as you. I thought maybe he would be back already if he went out to do errands or something other," the lady folded her hands on the table. "But he's been gone for a whole day without telling anyone where he's gone. I'm starting to get worried."

Tewksbury glanced at Enola, hope in his voice. "Are you thinking to investigate?"

Enola rolled her eyes. "You really are a nincompoop. Of course I am, would I be here if I weren't?"

Tewksbury opened his mouth to say, 'of course you would', but now wasn't the time. If his uncle was missing and he couldn't attend the ball with Tewksbury, the lord and lady ship of the Tewksbury family would fade and without Tewksbury's votes, he wasn't sure what would happen. It is vital to have every member of the lords and ladies attend any royal ball, especially the annual one started by Lord Tewksbury's father. 

"Please find him quick," Tewksbury begged Enola, eyes pleading. "If we don't find him by tonight so he can attend the ball..."

Lady Tewksbury suddenly stood and left the room, her hand covering her mouth. 

"Mother!" Tewksbury called after her. But the lady ignored him and shut the kitchen door behind her. Enola glanced from the door to Tewksbury, back and forth. 

"Well," the lady detective started. "I better get started on my third case then."

Tewksbury nodded, "Of course."

They both stood there kind of awkwardly. Enola cleared her throat. 

"I'll be back soon, probably in a few hours to update you and your mother about my investigation," she grabbed the two almost empty cups of tea and placed them gently in the sink before grabbing her coat from her chair. The young woman smiled softly at Tewksbury. 

"Stay out of trouble and stay safe," she told him. Tewksbury straightened his back and saluted in a mocking way.

"Yes, ma'am!"

They both laughed until Enola stepped closer and reached up to flick an invisible piece of dirt. Then she pulled him closer until their lips briefly met for a few moments. Then she pulled away.

"I have my eye on you, Vicount Tewksbury Marquess of Basilweather!" Enola called as she left the kitchen. Tewksbury chuckled and blew her a kiss. Enola rolled her eyes but smiled and vanished from the young lord's sight. 

"Isn't she something," he said to himself. Moments later he heard a vase crash into the floor, shattering into a million pieces. 

"Terribly sorry!" he heard Enola call, followed by the front door closing shut. 

"Correction: she definitely is something."

***

Tewksbury entered his room after Enola's departure and sat at his desk. He reached for his book about flowers he was reading but noticed a note next to it. On the front is read:

morf: ALONE

The young lord smiled as he opened the note and tried to read the scrambled words. But he eventually gave up and fetched a pencil and paper to decipher the rest of the letters:

raed yrubskwet,

teem em ta eht rewolf tekram dnuora noon.

evol, alone

dear Tewksbury,

meet me at the flower market around noon.

love, enola.

Tewksbury's eyebrows scrunched together in confusion. Why on earth would she want to meet at noon already? She just started on her case!  Tewksbury knew two things: one, this clearly wasn't Enola. And two, he had to figure out who this was and how they knew Enola and himself. It had to be someone who saw them both... 

Huh, is this how being a detective works? he thought to himself with a smile. He glanced at the grandfather clock on the other side of his room. 

10:57 AM

Just two hours until he met this mysterious person. Tewksbury decided to check on his mother to make sure she was alright after her sudden departure from the kitchen. He shut the door of his room and climbed up the stairs to the third floor. 

"Mother?" Tewksbury called as he knocked on the closed door of his mother's bedroom. No answer. Tewksbury knocked again, confused. "Mother!"

After a few minutes of no answer, the young lord reached for the door handle to find it locked. He rattled the handle with more force before trying to break through by ramming in with his shoulder. The fine wood finally broke from Tewksbury's foot. He grabbed a displayed sword from the hallway before entering his mother's room. 

"Mother?" Tewksbury asked. The room was completely empty. Then he noticed a note on her bed. 

Lord Tewksbury,

The Lady Tewksbury Marchioness of Basilweather was proven guilty of the disappearance of Sir Whimbrel Tewksbury. She was brought to the prison in London for further notice. 

The police department,

Grayson Lestrade

Tewksbury ran to the nearest window to see a carriage already so far away that it was a tiny black dot. But the young lord knew his mother was in it. And she was being taken to prison for a misunderstanding. 

But how would the police get to that conclusion? 

And who was the mysterious person who wrote the letter?

Ooo, the drama starts to unfold...

Srry I just rlly like this chapter! I hope yall do too and I THANKFULLY made this chapter a lot longer than the last! (at least I think so...) But I'll try to make each chapter as long as I could and as many as I can! Alr 29 views in 2 days?!? Omgosh you guys tysmmm for taking a chance on this book! Write in the comments what you think!

<3 Luna Star