EIGHT

"Tewksbury!" a voice called after the couple and the hostess as they approached the carriage to take them to the London Police Department. The young lord turned to see his grandmother trying as hard as she could to catch up with them - which wasn't very fast.

"Grandmother, what's wrong?" Tewksbury asked as Enola slipped her arm out of his to let him help the old lady. She gasped for breath. 

"Nothing, nothing is wrong. I'm coming as well," the Dowager finally said. Tewksbury didn't look so sure.

"Grandmother-"

The old lady interrupted Tewksbury with her figure. "Don't try to change my mind,"

"We must hurry!" Edith called. She and Enola were already in the carriage, waiting for them. Tewksbury turned back to face his grandmother. 

"Alright, after you."

The Dowager climbed into the carriage and sat next to Edith as Tewksbury sat next to Enola. The young woman took the lord's hand when he sat.

"Aren't you two the cutest couple?" Edith suddenly said as she closed the carriage door and placed her head on her hand, smiling at them. Enola and Tewksbury glanced at each other, eyes widening. Then they laughed hysterically. 

The carriage drove down the dirt road and into the stone streets of London, eventually stopping in front of the Police Department. All four of them hopped out before thanking the driver.

"Is... this it?" Enola asked. What they were staring at looked like an abandoned building with broken windows and vines growing over the red bricks. Tewksbury took Enola's hand as Edith helped the Dowager walk into the site. 

"Hello? Is anyone here?" the young lord asked into what looked like the lobby.

Silence.

"This is really weird," Edith's voice echoed across the room. Suddenly, the sound of doors slamming startled everyone. Footsteps started to thud closer to them before Tewksbury noticed a shadow only a few strides away from them. But he couldn't see anyone.

"Who's there?" he shouted. 

"This isn't the Police Department," Enola whispered, her arm entangled with Tewksbury's. 

"You're right, it isn't. And you'll never get there," a voice hissed across the room.

"Run!"

Enola wasn't sure who said it. But everyone didn't need to be told twice before running to the door.

"It's locked!" the Dowager yelled, trying to rattle the doors. Tewksbury gently pushed his grandmother aside before lining up his foot to break the glass. 

"Don't!" Enola stopped him before he could hit the door. "You'll break your foot like that. Here," she grabbed a broken lamp on the desk before swinging the decorated metal at the glass. The doors were so old even the metal broke and fell towards them.

"Watch it!" Edith yelled as the group scrambled to get out of the way. Suddenly Tewksbury let out a yelp of pain, holding his right arm as he knelt on the ground.

"Tewksbury!" Enola yelled as she dragged him farther away from the falling doors. Once the dust settled she knelt at his level.

"Are you hurt?"

The young lord didn't respond, only clutching his arm tightly. "I'm fine," he eventually rasped. "Just a minor cut."

Enola looked uncertain but had no time to protest when the voice came again.