TEN

"Why is he here?" Tewksbury asked Enola, following right behind her into the kitchen. The young woman opened the cupboards, taking out mugs for the tea.

"I have no idea.  But I think my mother has something to do with it," she said under her breath. She could hear Thomas and Eudoria approaching, murmuring as well. Tewksbury's expression remained confused. 

"We knew each other when we were younger-" Enola abruptly cut herself off when she heard their voices even closer.

"You'll tell me later?" he mouthed.

"I always do."

Thomas and Eudoria walked into the kitchen at that moment, smiling. 

"Well, what tea will we be making?" Eudoria asked, helping Enola and Tewksbury find the tea bags. Thomas sat in a chair with his leg crossed, his fingers gently tapping the table, which annoyed both Tewksbury and Enola.

"The herbal tea is amazing," the young lord suggested, picking out four tea bags from the tea cupboard. Enola smiled at Tewksbury, noticing it was the same herbs he used for her tea when she was recovering from her near-death experience. Thomas glanced back and forth between Enola and Tewksbury. 

"It sounds delightful," he eventually said, forcing a smile. Tewksbury and Enola shared a confused glance secretly before turning to prepare the mugs.

"So... Enola, you must be wondering why Thomas is here today," Eudoria said as she turned to sit next to Thomas. Enola forced a smile.

"I have," was all she said, making eye contact with her young lord before turning to Thomas. She noticed he was turning red, while her mother's smile practically beamed. 

"You are engaged to each other!"

Tewksbury overflowed a mug he was pouring hot water into. He didn't seem to notice the mess, only looking back and forth between Thomas and Enola, his mouth open.

"Uhm, Tewksbury, the water. Its..." Enola went over to take care of the mess. Tewksbury shook himself out of his daze. 

"Oh! I'm sorry. Uhm... well congratulations!" he forced a smile as he helped Enola clean up. 

"I had no idea about this, Tewksbury," Enola whispered under her breath. Tewksbury nodded slightly before taking the four mugs and the tea bags to the table.

"Please enjoy. Enola and I will fetch some treats. If you don't mind?" the young lord looked at Enola. She nodded.

"Of course."

And they both disappeared from the kitchen. 

"Well... that was a little strange," Thomas said, reaching for a mug and a tea bag. "It will be hard for Tewksbury to leave Enola, she is an extraordinary young woman."

 Eudoria looked out a nearby window, sipping her tea. She closed her eyes.

"Ms. Holmes, are you alright?" Thomas asked, setting his tea down. Eudoria turned to smile at the young man. 

"Of course I am. I just..." she trailed off, zoning out. 

***

(This takes place after Tewksbury says good night to Enola in chapter 7)

It was past ten in the night. Eudoria went to her daughter's room to say good night, but she couldn't find her there. Then she heard something outside and looked out the window of Enola's bedroom. Enola and Tewksbury were walking around in the garden, talking about something.