Chapter 16 (A Show of Power)

Cleo and Joey landed at Shelby's Llama coop but Shelby was no where in sight. Joey got out his hook and had his cannon at the ready.

"Ms. Witch!" Joey shouted, "Show yourself!"

"That's never going to work." A voice said behind them.

Cleo and Joey turned. Joey sliced his hook in the air and opened his eyes.

"That's not going to work either." Xornoth laughed. He didn't have a scratch.

"How did you get here?" Joey whispered very loudly. "You don't have an Elytra!"

"I have my ways." Xornoth said. He started laughing again.

SHWOOP!

In Xornoth's hand looked like a glowing red spear. 

"You're the witch?" Xornoth turned his head. Shelby sat on her broomstick about 30 feet in the air.

"W-Who are you?" Shelby stammered, pointing her wand at the demon.

"That doesn't matter." Xornoth smiled and dropped the spear. "This will go a lot faster if you listen to me."

"Hey!" Joey exclaimed. "What do you think you're doing?"

"Shhh." Xornoth turned his body to face the witch.

"What do you want?!" Shelby yelled, trying to be confident.

"Return what you stole." He said.

"I didn't steal anything from you! I don't even know who you are!" The witch started flying away.

"You'll soon find out." Xornoth snapped his fingers.

A red tentacle burst through Shelby's house and pulled her broom down to the ground.

"What the-" Shelby cut off.

Xornoth smiled.

"Please hand over what you stole." He said. "And I'm Xornoth by the way. Do you not remember me, Shrub?"

"I-" Shelby stuttered, cowering away. "I only stole some skulk!"

"What is that?" Xornoth asked Joey. 

"For gods sake..." Joey sighed. "It's like.. old technology I guess. I don't know. I don't really care either. Just get the skulk and let's go."

"We were using that skulk!" Cleo cut in. "We were experimenting on it! Grian's cave was full of skulk and we were trying to use it to somehow send a message through the portal. I don't fully understand it but Grian does. You also stole our rockets! Do you know how hard it is to travel now?!"

"Oh.." Shelby said." I'm so sorry! I didn't know! Skulk has been corrupting a few of the empires and I was trying to see why. Here, I'll go get it." Shelby got up and ran to her house that now had a giant tentacle in it. She came out a few minutes later.

"Here." Shelby gave the skulk to Cleo. "I'm so so sorry!"

"Rockets." Cleo frowned.

"I didn't-"

"What would the witch academy say?" Joey mused.

Shelby's face turned pale.

"I-" Shelby stuttered, starting to fidget with her wand.

"Witch academy?" Xornoth grinned. "Gem's witch academy?"

"No, she got kicked out of hogwarts." Joey laughed. "And her grandma needs a reply from her."

"It's not-" Shelby muttered. "I'm not- I haven't been-"

"I'm not- I haven't been!" Joey teased.

"Joey, stop. I need the rockets." Cleo said.

"It was just a joke." Joey rolled his eyes.

The witch kept fidgeting with her wand and muttering.

"Are you okay?" Cleo asked, stepping up to the witch.

"I need some air.." Shelby said. "I'll see you later."

And with that, the witch went on her broom and flew off.

"Well Joey, I'll see you at the rift when we leave!" Cleo said, starting to walk.

"What? You're leaving?" Joey gasped.

"I said that!" Cleo slapped her face.

Xornoth snickered at them. 

Little did they all know, there was trouble brewing. And it had started.