Chapter 4

The caged bird sings with a fearful trill of things unknown but longed for still and his tune is unheard on the distant hill for the caged bird sings for freedom.
- Maya Angelou

The drive to the compound was too short, as I found myself missing the feeling of Baby pressing against me

The drive to the compound was too short, as I found myself missing the feeling of Baby pressing against me. I parked my bike in my spot, shutting her off before climbing off. I turned around to check on Baby and found her smiling. That's when I really got a look at her.

She was breathtakingly beautiful.

"You like riding?" I ask her, snapping out of it and helping her off the bike. She nods her head so hard that I worry it's going to fall off. I chuckle at her before opening my bike bag and handing her doll. She snatches it, hugging it. "What's its name?" I ask her

She smiles at me. "Millie," I smile back at her nodding. I grab her hand again, leading her towards the back of the clubhouse, where my apartment is. As we pass the in-ground pool, she suddenly gasps, loudly stopping. I turn back to see what's the matter. She stares at the pool wide-eyed.

"Is that your bathtub?"

I look at her confusedly before shaking my head. "This is a pool; you swim in it," I tell her, realizing she most likely doesn't know how to swim. She nods slowly, but I don't think she knows what swimming is. I make a promise to myself to teach her. I continue to tug her along to my apartment. I open the door leading her in, and I release her hand, closing the door behind us. I watch as she looks around, taking in every single thing. She walks over to my television, looking at it strangely.

"What is this?" she asks, staring at it. I walk over, standing behind her, grabbing the remote from the television stand. I press the power button, and it turns on the news channel. Baby gasps loudly in fear, jumping backwards, right into me. I grab her, holding her waist as she turns and clings to me, her hands grabbing onto my shirt tightly. "Hey, its ok, its just a TV; it's like moving drawings," I tell her, rubbing her back. She nods against me before letting go of my shirt and turning to look at the TV again.

She stares at it in awe, watching the news lady talk. I changed the channel to SpongeBob, something more appropriate for her. She stands, mesmerized by the yellow sponge, as he blows bubbles. I lead her to the couch, sitting her down. "Why don't you sit here and watch the TV? I have to go talk to my men." She nods, not even looking up at me, giggling as SpongeBob blows animals with his bubbles. I grin in amusement as I make my way to the door. I grab my keys and lock the door behind me.

I walk into the clubhouse to the bar, taking a seat next to Hero as he sips his beer. "Where's the girl?" he asks me as he continues to sip his beer. I look at him with narrowed eyes as a protective feeling overcomes me. I calm down when I realize he is just asking, not because of alternative reasons. "She's watching SpongeBob," I tell him, watching as he chuckles in amusement.