Chapter 53

The next day, Kace was awoken by none other than Edison, which surprised him slightly to see the small boy standing there, clad in plaid pyjamas.

"Mum and Dad want to talk to you." he said, eyes slightly watery as he eyed the scowling boy in the doorway.

Kace battled his options, but eventually decided he should go. Rubbing his face tiredly, Kace nodded.

"For the record, Eddie," Said Kace, eyes following the boy, who was paused in the hall. "Next time you wake me up again, well, there won't be a next time anymore."

Edison paled and scampered away.

Picking up Evie, who was awake and alert, Kace walked down to the dining room, where Lily and James sat solemnly, looking at him.

"Er-Harry. Sit, please." James uttered, motioning to a seat. Kace scowled slightly at the man, making sure to keep in character.

As Kace sat, he felt their eyes on his every movement. Placing the toddler on his lap, the teen gave her a small bowl of oatmeal to eat.

Once she was settled, Kace glanced at the two adults, who had neutral expressions on their faces. From what Kace could tell from body language, the two Potters had probably been fighting. From the lack of Lily's arm on James's arm, to the tenseness between them, and James's furrowed brow.

"Firstly, I would like to apologise for how I acted yesterday. Remus is-was one of my best friends, and I lashed out in a way that was unlike me."

Kace disagreed, he thought it was perfectly in character for James, but he said nothing, waiting for the man to continue.

"I didn't mean the things I said, I was in shock, and I hope you can find it in yourself to forgive us."

When James was finished speaking, Lily gave Kace a small smile, one that Kace did not return.

"Secondly, we have spoken to Dumbledore and the order about this murder, and there will be a full-fledged investigation. If there is even any evidence against you, you will-will get the kiss." continued James, now not meeting eye contact with the boy.

Kace put on a mask of surprise, though inside he wasn't surprised. He wasn't concerned, no, not at all. Kace had performed several hundred assassin missions for his father, and removing his signature was a force of habit at that point.

"I-I will?" Kace asked, making his voice somewhat small and tinged with fear. He hated that voice, but he used it at home to get things he wanted with his father sometimes. Usually didn't work, considering his father was the Dark Lord. Shocker.

James looked too guilty to go on, so Lily jumped in. "We tried to convince Albus it wasn't you, we checked the wards, and you never left them! But, seeing as you-know-who wants you back, we have to figure out who did it."

Kace nodded, as if thinking. Inside, he was seething. He wanted nothing better than to mock them for being so pathetic for not saying his father's name, but stayed quiet still.

Lily continued on for a few minutes, and Kace zoned out, not really listening. He was bored, and he wanted to be back in the room he currently resided in.

Realising that both were looking at him, Kace inferred that he was being asked a question.

"What?" He asked, and James spoke this time.

"We asked you if you have communicated with anybody outside of school other than the... letter you showed me."

Kace opened his mouth, before the Potter heir cut him off. "Consider these next words wisely, as if you say yes, you are significantly more eligible for the kiss."

Kace smirked internally. He was going to deny it, even if Pothead hadn't said that. Technically, it was true, even though he was going to finally be able to talk to his father through messengers at his next meeting.

"No. I have been following the rules set out for me." Kace spoke in a monotone voice, not displaying any emotions.

James nodded, Lily following.

"Is there anything else? I would rather not be in a room with you right now." Kace said, voice still monotone and dull. He hinted at slight anger in the end, but Lily shook her head, so the teenager stood, cradling the toddler in his arms.