Chapter 18

Tuesday 18th November, 1976

A week had passed since the study picnic. I thought about it often, possibly more often than I should have, but I didn't think about that.

It was lunch and I was walking into the Gryffindor Common Room when I overheard Lily and Remus talking. They hadn't noticed me yet and continued talking like no-one was listening, when, in fact, I was.

"I like him a lot. Like, a lot, but I don't want to ruin our friendship. We brushed off the kiss we had on Halloween, calling it a drunk mistake, but it doesn't feel like a mistake to me. I only wish Sirius felt the same," Remus confessed.

Immediately I knew this was not a conversation I should eavesdrop on and walked towards them, making my presence known when I spoke.

"You talking about Sirius?" I teased.

"You shouldn't eavesdrop," Remus scolded half-heartedly.

I rolled my eyes, waving him off. "That's why I'm here talking to you instead of hiding in the corner listening. Anyway, you were talking about Sirius, right?"

Remus sighed, looking down dejectedly as he slowly nodded. For someone who just confessed they liked someone, they didn't seem too happy about it.

"Yeah," he murmured quietly. "It's Sirius."

"I'll be your wingman," I stated. "Or wingwoman, I guess."

Remus let out a humourless laugh, rubbing his face with his hands. "There's no reason for you to do that. Me and Sirius are not an option. Like I said before, if there's a possibility to ruin our friendship, I don't want to do anything about it. Sirius wouldn't even want someone like me, anyway."

I sighed, frustrated at Remus's low self-esteem. Couldn't he see how in love Sirius was with him? Didn't he notice the way Sirius looked at him? Because the rest of us certainly did.

"I think doing nothing would ruin your relationship," I said, "because it's obvious Sirius is head over heels for you."

"He's not," Remus said flatly.

"Let me prove you wrong then."

Before Remus or Lily had a chance to stop me, I was heading towards the boy's dormitories, walking up the stairs until I got to the marauder's dorm. I opened the door and walked in, to James and Sirius's displeasure.

"Oi! Y/n, you can't just walk in here without knocking! We could have been changing," James yelled.

I shuddered at the thought. "What a horrible sight that would be."

Sirius threw a pillow at me in response, one I barely missed. I glared at the boy who grinned back, causing me to roll my eyes.

"What were you guys talking about?" I asked innocently.

"Nunya," both boys said in unison.

"Rude," I muttered under my breath.

I moved across the dorm and sat on the edge of James's bed, trying to figure out how I could wrangle a confession out of Sirius. James, who was also sitting on his bed and was still miffed about me entering his dorm without knocking, shoved me harshly, and I toppled off his bed and onto the floor. I glowered, scrambling upright and about to lunge at him when Sirius stepped between the two of us.

"Don't think I won't take you down too," I warned him.

"I'd like to see you try," Sirius taunted with a smirk.

I was vividly reminded of Regulus saying the same thing to me two weeks ago when I first proposed our alliance. The memory of him made me cheeks heat up, especially when I realised I got the reminder from Sirius, his brother.