V

Genesis

"Hello I'm Winifred, a caseworker for Child Protective Services. May I come in? I just need to ask a few things." A white lady smiles as I answer the door.

"Um?" I look confused as she peaks around nosily looking in my house.

"Fa what?" I look her up and down with a stank face.

"I'm just here to ensure the safety of the children in your home." She smiles again.

"Why?" I ask.

"Uh ma'am I just need to speak with your children and have a look around your home." She frowns.

"But why?" I tilt my head to the side.

"Ma'am there's a concern for the safety of your children." She sighs.

"Why?" I ask.

"Because there was an anonymous report given to us regarding your children." She says.

"Who is anonymous?" I ask.

"I cannot say ma'am, even if I did have their information which they did not give us."

"No you may not enter my home." I politely push the door closed and lock it.

She stands there and knocks but I ignore it, heading to my room. I walk in to see my floor covered in arts and craft supplies.

"The hell?" I look around.

"We was tryna make you a surprise." Vaughn smiles.

"Yes but it's not done yet so you have to leave and come back in 10 minutes." Kyrie stands up and ushers me away.

"Aight fine." I leave peacefully and they shut my door.

I go back in the main room and it seems the lady left. I'm kinda hungry so I call Kamar.

"Wassup?" He answers and I hear a ton of voices in the background.

"You at the trap?" I ask.

"Yea I den won 500. Think I'm finna pocket dis lil money and go home." He says.

"Oh great so you paying my rent this month?" I smile.

"Yo lil $200 section 8 rent, don't yo welfare cover that anyway?" He asks.

"Nawl I'm putting that towards my car payment and the kids gifts." I shake my head.

I'm like 3 months behind on my car payment, plus I couldn't really afford Christmas this year, all I could do was order us a good meal from Applebee's.

Ryan took Amancia and his parents spoiled her but the rest of my kids didn't really get much.

Kamar gave me sum money but I had to split it across 7 kids so all I could get was sum cheap toys. So I promised I'd make up for it during tax time. And that I will.

"And I got like 3 thousand dollars worth of credit cards to pay off." I add.

"The only time you ever good with money is when we together because I handle it." He smacks his teeth.

"I'm very good with money." I roll my eyes.

"What happened to yo 5 thousand dollar grant from when you was getting yo GED?" He asks.

"I had like a lot of bills..." I trail off.

"No you was buying wigs and lashes and matching Jordans fa you and the boys. You was getting you and Cia manicures and pedicures and putting rims on yo car. Warrior was a year old, dripped down in Burberry but I still had to help you not get evicted. Ridiculous." He lectures.

"I'ma grown ass woman Kamar, know yo place as a baby daddy. You my kids' father not mine." I say.

"You just piss me off, everytime I talk to you." He mumbles.

I hang up but remember why I called in the first place and call back.

"Why you hang up on me?" He asks soon as he picks up.

"I didn't hang up on purpose it was my earring." I lie.

Good one!

"Oh aight."

"But look you finna head home right?"

"Yea."

"Okay well me and the kids hungry. Bring us sum Burger King. Just buy 2 bundles and make sure one of em got nuggets." I request.

"I gotchu." He agrees.

"Thank you, see you inna minute."

...

"CPS?" Kamar furrows his eyebrows.

"Yup. I feel like it could be Sonia but it's a ton of racist white people at their school and there's Elijah and my other baby daddies too so." I shrug, dipping my nuggets in barbeque sauce.

"Scratch my back." I tell him.

He sighs, pulling my spaghetti strap down. I lean forward and he scratches down my spine. I nod my head to the left and down and he follows my instructions.

"A lil lower." I groan.

"Ugh, thank you, that shit was fye." I dap him up after a couple minutes and pull my shirt back on right.

"Ian worried bout CPS too much. There's nothing they could take the kids fa, you a good mom... now if they drug test you and see that weed in yo system..." He scratches his head.

"Aw shit, I gotta stop smoking because CPS gone have to stop by if the baby's born with weed in dey system." I smack my teeth.

"I been told you to stop. Anyway how's yo contractions?" He asks.

"It's been more and more. But they not that close together yet so I think I'm good. I recorded all of em, I'll show it to my doctor tomorrow." I touch my belly.

"I wanna feel." He says and I take my hand off.

He touches my belly, waiting for her to kick. I move his hand to where she is and push his hand a lil harder. She kicks and his mouth falls open.

"She like you, usually it take longer for her to respond." I chuckle as he smiles.

"You came up with a name yet?" He asks.

"Kamira." I nod.

"Aw you gave her a K name like the rest of my kids." He cheeses.

"Duh." I roll my eyes.

The kids run out of my room up to us.

"Hi daddy!"

"Hi Kamar!"

"Wassup y'all?" He nods at em.

"Mommy look." Warrior presents me with a big piece of white construction paper with a beautiful, glittery creation.

"Awwwwwwwwwww." I tear up, accepting it.

"we love yuo!" It reads on the back with all of their names written by themselves.

"Where's mine?" Kamar asks.

"I mean, we love you too dad." Karter shrugs and I cackle loudly.

"Fuck up." He mugs me.

𝐁𝐌 𝐂𝐡𝐫𝐨𝐧𝐢𝐜𝐥𝐞𝐬
©𝐟𝐫𝐞𝐞𝐩𝐨𝐨𝐡𝐬𝐡𝐢𝐞𝐬𝐭𝐲