XVII

Genesis

"Why dis baby coughing like this?" My mom pats Kamira's back with her eyes furrowed.

"All babies cough like that momma you trippin." I lay on the couch across from her, on FaceTime with Daylona.

"Mh mh mh. Prolly allat smoking you be doin." She shakes her head.

"I don't smoke round her momma." I deny.

"Yes you do, quit lien." She mugs me.

"Y'all!" I call all my children forth.

"Do I smoke around Kamira?" I ask them.

"No." They all answer as instructed.

"Mmmhm." She squints.

"Stop making them kids lie for you." Daylona says. I got my airpods in so my mom can't hear her.

"I'm nottt." I lay on my belly and put my phone on top of a pillow.

"Has Elijah seen the baby yet?" My mom asks.

"Hell no. And he never will." I look at her crazy.

"Why not? That's his real father." She shrugs.

"All he did was lend me the sperm. I'm not finna let the nigga that threatened to kill her in her life." I scoff.

"You need to stop having babies by all these different niggas. If you listened to me yo life would've turned out so much better." She sighs.

The thing about my mom is she loves telling me about my kids and how good of a mother she is. But she wasn't a mother to me. All she did was take me to school and beat my ass. I had to learn on my own, and I'm still learning.

"My life is fine. Yea I den been through it but I still wouldn't change a thang." I shrug.

"Sad." She says under her breath.

"She really on yo ass like ha babies ain't by foe different niggas." Lona says.

"Can't tell her that. Let her tell it she only got 2." I roll my eyes.

"Huh?" She looks at me.

"Stepkids. Stephanie from our old block don't think Black other kids is really his." I lie.

"Good one." Lona laughs.

"Lona you remember my slow ass cousin from Memphis that got a crush on me?" I ask.

"Short, pigeon toed, cross eyed, light skin, 6 children, all with white girls right?" She asks.

"Yup. His name Marlon, Kamar told me he got a black girl pregnant this time. But he not claiming her of course, he said he'd never sleep with her." I gossip.

"I hate niggas like that. Wish the fuck I would not love my child cuz it's all black. That nigga hate himself." She sits her phone on the dashboard and starts driving.

"Right? He think he finna be on that Alabama shit with me. Not only am I related to you but you don't even like black women and yo momma black. He make me so sick with his ugly ass." I smack my teeth.

"Niggas are disgusting." She shakes her head.

"Bitches too shit." I put on sum Vaseline.

"Aight I'm finna get Kyrie and Cia they gifts right now. The party at 5 right?" She asks.

"Yea." I lie.

It's at 7, but yk how black people is.

...