Chapter 2 - Aimi's Heartbreak

You fidgeted with your thumbs, your fingers interlaced with each other tightly as your gaze shifted from them to the door of the quaint and cozy cafe you'd scheduled to meet your best friend in. There was a sinking feeling in your stomach the longer you waited as your mind made up hundreds of scenarios in which this meet up would end horribly. You'd gone into your apartment after the awkward encounter with Shinso with nothing but a mind desperate to find a way of understanding how to deal with two people who played big roles in your life. One was your soulmate, a stranger you had no connection with, and the other was your best friend, who had been nothing but supportive of you since you'd met. How could this even be an issue? 

Most likely, it was the guilt. The look Shinso had given you when he 'realized' what you thought of him had been rooted in an old kind of sadness. It'd spurred negative emotions in him. Despite that, he had never lashed or acted out. He remained as respectful as ever.

You'd been refreshed on that guilt when you stepped out of your apartment and saw that your new package of new tools had been moved from the rain to the side of the door; you knew from the delivery confirmation photo that it wasn't in the same spot it was delivered. It seemed as though your neighbor had guessed you valued the tools too much to be happy about finding them in the rain. Your frown deepened at his kindness. He was too much of a hero to let himself be too resentful for good deeds, no matter how small.

You knew that the respect you held for him was the only defining thing about your relationship. You didn't see him as anything else than the hero next door despite your close homes. However, it'd be ridiculous of you to ignore the fact that you'd been marked by fate with him. You had to at least talk to him about it; he might be the only person that understands the way you've looked at your soulmate mark your entire life.

A soft gasp shook you out of your thoughts and you saw Mimi happily bouncing over towards you. She held the smile she never failed to greet you with, her hair bouncing around her as she skipped to the seat in front of you. It only made you feel worse.

The entire speech you'd rehearsed to yourself in the mirror flew out the window. There was no way you could tell such a happy girl that the man she was still in love with was the person you were destined to be loved by. 

"(Name)!I can't tell you how excited I was when I saw your message. I've seen this place a bunch and the pastries by the window had me crying every time I realized I didn't have the money or time to come in. I'm super prepared for a food coma today, and I hope you ar-"

"I met my soulmate yesterday", you cut her off. You had no idea where the burst of confidence had come from and grimaced at the realization that you'd rudely interrupted her happy rambling.  Perhaps you unconsciously knew that you'd rather mentally prepare her for a serious conversation so that when you broke the full news to her, it wouldn't be such a rollercoaster of emotions. Your eyes analyzed every inch of her face and you were unsure whether you wanted a happy reaction so you could feel better or an expression that better prepared her for the rest of your story.

She was speechless for only a second before she broke out into a full grin. Her eyes seemed to shine with happiness for you. You thought such reaction would make you feel better but it truly didn't. Her face instantly gave you the message that she was about to start asking questions way faster than you could figure out a way to continue.

"(Name), oh my god, you have to tell me everything! Where did you meet? Is he handsome? What were the words about?!?"her questions were so innocent and for a moment she reminded you of a child. You felt slightly better as you found yourself faced with questions you could easily answer. 

"Mimi, he's actually...not bad. We met at a diner last night, and out of all things, he said those words when he saw me struggling to open a bottle of ketchup", you laughed, not having fully realized until now how ridiculous your meet had been with Shinso. Pushing troubles aside, the setting had actually been nice and pretty, with fairy lights all around, and a comedic hint to it. It could've been romantic if not for the fact that you weren't a believer in 'love at first sight' and that he was your friend's ex. That reminded you,