Chapter 29 - Here

"I still don't get why I can't see him yet."

"You don't get it because you don't listen to me. Tch, I swear, you and Shinso are perfect for each other with all your whining. No wonder you're soulmates."

What should've been a compliment caught you completely off guard. Not once had you told the older man such personal information and you momentarily forgot about your mission to pester him until he let you see Hitoshi. According to Aizawa, Hitoshi arrived roughly three hours ago but the agency was keeping him in emergency care for cuts and bruises after they 'persuaded' someone into removing their quirk on him. You didn't know the details.

"Woah-, huh? How do you know we're soulmates? I didn't tell you that", your eyebrows furrowed as you tried to think of how else he would know. The man was smart but surely not that smart. Soulmate marks were rare too, so to base it off assumption would be weird.

"He told me", he rolled his eyes as your jaw slightly dropped,"How else?He came to me for dating advice. Kid didn't know what to do with his feelings. Probably why the two of you haven't gotten anywhere."

You had to admit, the thought of Hitoshi going as far as to ask Aizawa for help when it came to you made your chest bubble with happiness. It made you feel special but the last remark sent a pang of pettiness into you.

"We would've kissed already if you hadn't butted in yesterday...", you muttered under your breath. Aizawa turned to you with a glare that shut your little attitude down.

"You broke into my house and stole from me", he reminded you in a grave tone,"so be glad I didn't do anything other than delay your little love story."

"Yup. Exactly what I thought too", you hurriedly agreed in an attempt to get the scary man's glower off you. It seemed to work as he huffed in disinterest. For such an intimidating and strict person, you suspected the only reason he was putting up with you was to distract you from worrying about Hitoshi. It was pretty sweet. 

He looked annoyed as he pulled out his phone, glancing at the caller ID on the screen before rejecting the call. You'd managed to sneak a peek when he did. Your eyebrow rose in confusion.

"Why are you rejecting Toshi's call?"

"I know what he's going to ask and I already told him no. It's against the rules for a civilian to be in the part of the building he's being treated in."

"Aren't you the boss here though? You can't bend the rules a little for your favorite students?"

"The two of you need to start respecting me when I say no. And you can't play the student card. I was never your teacher."

You pouted. This man was set on not letting you go to the agency's infirmary and though you wanted to be patient, it was hard when you were almost kidnapped, killed, and then went on to find out Hitoshi had been hurt. Your nerves were a little on edge despite knowing you were safe and you knew seeing the purple insomniac you held so dear would make you feel better instantly--about your safety and his.

Soft meows caught your attention and you smiled at the kitten in your arms. Your arms were a bit sore from carrying Smudge so you readjusted his weight on your arms to not let go of him. As Aizawa said, rules are rules, and you weren't sure what the policy was for pets roaming freely. Aizawa took notice of your tired arms and nodded to another direction with his head.

"Follow me, I can take you somewhere to put him down. It's a closed-off space outside so it'll be dark to see this late but it shouldn't be a problem for the cat. He should get some fresh air every once in a while."

You snorted at the familiar phrase. The similarities between Aizawa and Hitoshi were becoming more clear to you ever since Sara mentioned it. The man heard your small laughter and turned to you with a confused face but by the time he did that, you'd forced your face back to normal. The man was kind in the inside but he was still frightening.