Chapter 10 - Pulled Apart

Your phone woke you from a peaceful slumber and you picked up with irritation, not even opening your eyes as you answered in hopes that by the time you ended the call, you could easily fall back asleep.

"How many times are you going to call me in the morning? I need my beauty sleep", you grumbled out.

"(Name)?", a different voice you didn't expect called out instead. You sat up immediately.

"Mimi?", you asked in confusion. She hadn't reached out to you in days and it dawned on you it'd actually been a while since you two talked. You felt a little ashamed as you realized you'd been spending so much time with Hitoshi that you were leaving Aimi a little behind.

"I'm so sorry for waking you up, but can you come over?", her voice was trembling slightly and she sounded tired,"I really want to talk to someone", your heart almost stopped as she continued,"something happened between me and Hitoshi..."

You swore your breathing got heavier then and there as your mind started making countless thoughts and you understood none of them. Her words were vague and you couldn't find it in yourself to ask her for details yet.

You were starting to consider yourself someone close to Hitoshi--not only in living arrangements but in your personal lives. You'd come to terms with the fact that you cared about him and you forgot that the one other person you cared about immensely had a complicated relationship with him. Now, you felt as though you were being put in the middle.

Nonetheless, Aimi was your friend, so you were quick to toss away your own feelings.

"I'll be right there, Mimi."

You hung up and began getting ready, hearing a knock on your door and cringing as you realized who was out there and why. Your mind was tearing itself coming up with a solution in which you could help out both your friends. You opened the door and the man Aimi was once again crying over greeted you with a wave, but strangely, he didn't hold a box. He looked at you inquisitively.

"You going somewhere, Princess?", he asked while noticing you had your shoes on and didn't look as sleepy as you usually did when he dropped Smudge off. 

"Did you forget to bring Smudge?", you asked nervously. You hoped that the joke would distract him from the fact that you forgot all about your arrangement. He shook his head.

"No, I was coming here to tell you I have the day off now. Something about leaky pipes, I don't care", he said honestly and only became more confused when your face brightened up. You tried to quickly cover it up with a look of false dissapointment but it didn't fool anyone.

"Oh that sucks, I was really hoping to see the little guy!!But uh, since I have the chance, I might as well go take care of some errands", you stepped out and locked the apartment behind you. You didn't realize that you just showed Hitoshi that you already had your keys in your hand when you found him at the door. He started growing a little uneasy with your behavior.

"Do you want me to go with you?"

"NO!", you said too fast and too loud for your liking. You winced and Hitoshi stared at you with wide eyes. He was clearly caught very off guard and didn't expect that kind of reaction from you at his request. He was starting to wonder whether maybe something was up and pushed past the slightly hurt feelings he had.

"...Princess, are you okay?Is something wrong?", he asked in a quiet voice. The man noticed you flinch at his question and despite the clear worry and nervousness in your face, you quickly shook your head and bowed slightly. You hadn't acted so formal to him since before the two of you started talking and he felt concern bubble up in him.