Chapter 20 - False Impressions

Hitoshi's pace was oddly fast and his eyes clouded as if in deep thought. He had his hero costume on, which he put on as you got ready to go and started walking to the agency without a word as soon as you locked your apartment. You tried asking him to fill you in multiple times but so far he'd given you nothing but vague answers which didn't ease your mood. It didn't seem like yours was any worse than his.

The man you'd come to know as expressionless to anything but you and Smudge looked anxious. His eyebrows were scrunched up and he was unusually distracted. It took you a long time to finally bring his attention to you.

"Toshi!", you grabbed onto his hand so he couldn't ignore you anymore,"I'm sorry, but you have to tell me something about what's happening. I'm following you to an unknown place for an unknown reason and you seem off. The only thing you've actually told me is that I have to go. I'm not saying I don't trust you but can't you see how worrying that is?"

The desperation laced with your voice was enough to make Hitoshi halt. His eyes turned to yours and as much as you wanted those violet eyes to clear and his head to stop running thoughts, he wasn't sure he could give you that for now. He wasn't heartless though, and he knew you had a point. If it weren't for the fact that the two of you trusted each other beyond words, this scenario would look sketchy to anyone.

"I'm sorry, princess, I don't mean to keep you in the dark. We're on our way to Aizawa's agency--I work under him but at his request, people turn to me when he's gone. I need to talk to someone about the report that came out last night and if you get lucky you might score a commission out of it", he shared. You noticed his answer was still not specific but it was the most you'd gotten out of him since the two of you woke up. The missing facts had you uneasy but you tried to focus more on the chance you had for a commission.

"Thank you for telling me, Toshi, but...why do you look so nervous? You didn't answer my question this morning about whether everything is okay...", you mumbled. The man looked away from your eyes and didn't answer until you called out to him again,"Toshi, please. I hate seeing you like this."

Hitoshi squeezed your hand as he took a deep breath. It was taking him a lot to actually focus on the conversation with all that was on his mind.

"It's nothing dangerous, if it helps you feel better. The report I got mentioned a few things that my mind is making theories on and I felt the need to confirm them or prove them wrong. For confidential reasons, I don't think I can tell you anything else in public."

You still looked at him with uncertainty and nodded which was all it took for Hitoshi to resume his fast walking. You tried not to voice your worries anymore with the fear that you'd only stress him out even more than he already was. His words gave you a bit of hope about your chances of understanding what was going on soon enough.

It was a bit hard to keep up with his hurried steps but you eventually made it to a formal building. The heightened feel of luxury was unexpected knowing that it all belonged to Aizawa; not that you couldn't believe he afforded it but rather that he wanted it. You guessed the decorations were handled by someone with far more elegant taste.

That made you feel reluctant to step in but Hitoshi walked in with no second thoughts, walking by the receptionist without even addressing her and you meekly followed, muttering out a shy 'hi' to the woman who looked like she'd rather be anywhere else.

He led you to the outside of a room with gigantic room. If you didn't know any better, you'd compare the doors to the ones that are opened in meeting rooms for villains in movies. They were unecessarily large. Despite the hurried pace Hitoshi had the entire trip, you noticed he was hesistant to actually go in. Whatever those theories were that he had, they were weighing on him. An unsettling shadow was on his face.