Chapter 13 - Foreign Bed

"Princess, you're not even using the right screwdriver."

"That's so not the point. If it screws, it screws."

"Aren't you making it harder for yourself?"

"Thanks, mom, but I think I can handle it."

"I don't think your mom would appreciate you saying that."

"And I don't think you're being too helpful", you playfully retaliated. It's been a whole lot of banter since the two of you made up and your mutual need to make up for lost time resulted in you being in his apartment no less than an hour after all the drama. You were sitting at his desk with tools laid out in front of you and Hitoshi sat near you. The only difference was that instead of sitting at the side of the desk, he sat right beside you, and he was being unusually talkative.

You tried not to be nervous at his proximity. It was very easy to see the size difference between the two of you and each time he'd lean closer to see your work better, you only felt smaller compared to him. The black tank top he had on didn't help you feel any better. Since when were his muscles so toned?

"I'd help but you won't let me", the purple-haired man scrunched his face in light-hearted pettiness. You didn't even look up since it wasn't the first time he brought it up.

"Your hands are too big for this. You'll probably poke something out, best you keep those big hands of yours for fighting and what not, Toshi", your patronizing tone did not get past him easily.

"Woah,do you not take my fighting seriously?", he raised an eyebrow,"because I'll have you know, I'm out there putting villains away every night so you and Smudge can be safe and sound."

"Every night?", you questioned him with a sly face. The man trailed his eyes to the corner of the room.

"Well, it only happens about once a week, but it's still dangerous work", he was starting to pout at how lightly you took his job. He'd been acting so openly since earlier and you couldn't help but laugh.

"I know, Toshi, I'm just messing with you. I was the one who saw how injured you came back home that one day, after all. Smudge and I feel very safe knowing you're out there protecting us from the bad guys", you smiled at him before turning back to your mask. You were in good spirits.

The man smiled at your words and followed your actions, choosing to let you concentrate as you worked on the mask. He noticed you brought your laptop in but decided to leave the question for later on. He probably already distracted you enough.

An hour flew by and he hadn't realized how long he'd been staring at you in action until he looked at his bedside clock. You'd been in his apartment all day and he knew the moment you saw the time, you'd probably say something about finishing the work tomorrow and leave. The thought dissapointed him a little. As childish as he considered himself for it, he didn't want you to go yet. He was starting to care less and less about being his reserved self and more about you staying. Would you find it weird if he covered the clock 'for no reason'?

You broke him out of your thoughts as you presented the mask to him all of a sudden. It looked good as new, though not exactly the same.

"BOOM!The mask itself is done. Man, I can't wait for it to download the program...it's gonna be so awesome!!", you squealed in excitement. Hitoshi welcomed the look but looked at you with confusion. You paid him no mind as you opened your laptop and began clicking away.

"What kind of program are you talking about?", his tired eyes looked back and forth between the laptop and the mask.

"Well...I wasn't gonna say anything until I could show you the full range, but look", you spent a few more seconds on the laptop before giving it a final click and smiling. You grabbed the mask and put it on yourself, turning to the man beside you with a wide smile that was only visible through your eyes.