Chapter 31 - Enlighten Me

This was the second morning you were waking up in your temporary room. This morning was also the one in which Hitoshi should've been out of house arrest and you were a little surprised he hadn't swung by since you knew he always woke up earlier than you. You figured you could kill time while Hitoshi took care of whatever he was doing since you needed his help; there was no way you could move all your belongings by yourself. 

Though, what could you do to kill time? Your phone was back at your apartment(if it hadn't been raided yet) and Aizawa had taken Smudge the night prior. There was a tv in the room but you didn't feel like channel-surfing so early so you put on some presentable clothes instead, mentally thanking Aizawa for being thoughtful enough to get another female in the building to buy some. You decided there should be no issue in you wandering around.

That's how you found yourself utterly lost within 15 minutes with no way of calling for help. You weren't too worried though; it was the unknown part of a hero agency, not the unknown part of town. You hummed as you walked and admired the abstract paintings on the wall. One caught your attention.

It almost made you burst into laughter and coo at the same time. You wondered how exactly the conversation of hanging a painting of everyone's favorite kitten had come up between the two heroes but based on the portrait you were looking at, the conversation must have happened. You kept on walking.

Soon enough you made your way to a cafeteria. The smell had hit you from another hallway and you were able to follow it but you realized how bad of an idea that was when you noticed how heavenly the food looked and you had no money on you. You almost left before you caught onto someone's conversation. You were positive you heard both the words "Shinso" and "operation".

Now, you wouldn't call yourself nosy, but...

You took a seat in a nearby table to where the group of four people gossiped--close enough to where you could see them but where it wouldn't be humanly possible to hear them.

Humanly.

You weren't sure what animal specifically you were tapping into when you felt your hearing becoming much sharper but greatly hoped it wasn't something like a moth despite how effective it would be. God knows how you'd explain to someone why you're so obsessed with a lamp all of a sudden. The groups' words flowed into your ears with ease.

"Can you imagine?The whole operation went down the drain because he couldn't keep his feelings in check."

"He did sound really angry before he got quiet."

"What?Don't tell me you fell for that. Haven't you heard what people are saying?"

"I thought that's what it was?That he couldn't keep his anger?"

"That's not the feeling I meant. People are saying he dated this girl, for like, two years, and then she turned out to be what distracted him from the mission. That's probably why he got quiet after. Might've muted his mic or something."

"I didn't even know he dated."

"Do you think I'm his type?"

You immediately wished you hadn't. You'd actually been successful enough in preventing any concerning thoughts since yesterday and thankfully you were smart enough to know that they probably didn't even have a clue of what they were talking about, but it still irked you a little, and leaving was way easier this time. You made your way across the halls to who knows where.

You wondered, why were people so sure there was another girl he dated? You obviously knew about Aimi--how could you not after all the times she cried to you about him--but this was a girl who went as far as to work with villains. You'd seen Aimi run from bugs, the idea of connecting them was absurd.