- Chapter 2 -

Journal Entry # 59

Journal Entry # 59

July 16th, 2734

Day 13. That's how long I've been at Ground Zero. It feels more. The days go by slowly. Seconds turn into minutes, minutes turn into hours, hours turn into days. Loneliness is a regular feeling that is creeping within, waiting for the right moment to completely absorb me.

I'm not sure how long I can fight anymore.

I haven't talked to my family since I came. We can't reach out to them. It's one of the "mandatory rules". There are no phones or reception. There hasn't been for a while. Part of me wants to leave this place, get back to my family.

How are they doing now? Are they happy at the Miracles? Are they still safe? Are they even alive? Thousands of thoughts swam in my mind. The thoughts are restless, draining, apathetic to my well being.

The map I'm making is in progress. I regularly walk along these hallways. Taking a notice of what is in the building. I memorized every visible exit here. I know how to get to the basement, the first floor, second, third and so on. I know everything within these walls. Or maybe I just know its mere surface.

They didn't harm us yet but I know the Commander is wrong. The worst didn't already happen. The worst is yet to co-

The beep of my bedroom door and the knob turning made me drop my pen. Someone's key card was opening the door. Feeling of dread rushed through my veins. I tossed the journal under the bed, hearing a thump as it hit the wall. Without realizing, I was face to face with Kana. She was another one of the trainers and worked in a medical field. She was a petite, pale woman with long raven hair.

Even if she suspected anything, her face didn't show. I didn't speak. It was her that barged into my room. There was definitely a reason why.

She cleared her throat and tried to give me a kind smile. "Commander wants to speak to you."

My eyebrows furrowed, my emerald green eyes looking at her questionably. "Why?"

"You're not in trouble," She assured, waving her hand in dismissal. That didn't ease my nerves. "He just has a favor to ask."

I tried to ask what favor but she already motioned her head for me to follow and disappeared from the view. She either did not know why the commander wanted me, or purposely left so that she didn't have to answer my burning questions. I gave out a frustrated sigh, and against all my better efforts to stay I found myself following her and getting lost in the gray, lifeless halls.

I jogged to catch up with her. Her strides were long and quick. She was taller than me by a couple of inches. However, being taller than me was not surprising. Almost everyone was taller than me.

We were quiet as we walked down the hall. I figured my questions would be answered soon, so I looked around. It was the section I didn't search and examine yet. Who knows how many sections I still don't know about? 10? 20? 100?