- Chapter 4 -

"How did your first training go?"

I glanced up from my notebook and the first thing I saw was blonde hair.

Jake. Of course.

I closed the notebook with the drawings of the Ground Zero, trying not to be suspicious. He was my friend, but I still had my guards up. I wanted to trust him but I couldn't. With everything happening, with everything that happened, with everything that will happen, I don't think I would be able to trust anyone ever again.

"Like every other training that we have in the morning?" I gave him a confused look, trying to laugh it off. Sadly, my answer turned into a question and I wanted to die in a hole.

Did he know about me joining the trainers? And if he did, how did he know? Do other people know? My questions were silenced by one thought I didn't want to have.

I was really really going to get in trouble for this.

He rolled his eyes that appeared even lighter under the glowing lamp near us. We were in the learning commons at the very back. The learning commons was an always open section where most people came to relax or complete their work.

He schooched the chair next to me, giving me one of those, nice lie, looks.

I shrugged, innocently. "I don't know what you are talking about."

"I'm talking about you getting put with the trainers and going out in the city," He leaned over to me, whispering so that only I could hear.

My smile dropped, and my eyes anxiously searched his. No. No. No. How did he know?

But of course he did, I shouldn't even be surprised.

He was Jake Smith after all. That was the first name I heard when I was walking through these halls on the first day. It was the name every girl whispered about, hoping he would look at them and acknowledge them. Even though he was the same age as me, he talked to everyone. Everybody loved him in this place. If anybody found out about this, I knew it would be him.

He continued, "Why were you put there in the first place?"

I was shocked by his question. Not by the question itself, but by the way he said it. His voice wasn't judgemental, and disbelieving. It was worried and what seemed to be agitated.

I broke into an amused smile, reflecting the question, "Jake Smith are you scared for my well - being?"

I mocked him and he rolled his eyes at my childlike behavior. He shook his head in denial, his blond locks falling into his eyes. "I'm not scared. Why would I be scared?"

"Wow! I thought we were friends," Part of me was joking, still having a playful grin planted on my face. However, a part of me hid that his comment stung.