- Chapter 5 -

I spend the rest of my day in my room

I spend the rest of my day in my room. I was sprawled on my bed, looking at the gray ceiling. I replayed Jake's, Chase's and Kana's words in my head for the 100th time.

"Why were you put there in the first place?"

"I don't think you are ready."

"I know you are going to cause trouble."

I leaned my head on the board of my bed, giving out a big sigh. Everything became even harder than it was. Getting driven away from the Miracles and leaving my family was one of the hardest things I have done.

The journey to Houston was hard enough and when Miracles sent me away to Ground Zero, I didn't believe it was going to get harder. My parents knew the Miracles organization was the safest place on Earth. Even though it was days away by foot, they knew we had to go there.

Before the apocalypse and pandemic started, the reporters talked about the Miracles. They didn't reveal much information, other than it was the future for the lucky ones.

If I looked at it now, I would think they knew about what would happen in April. However, knowing some things about Miracles based on news I listened to when my dad watched TV while I was doing my homework, I knew it was the only option too.

The doctors did not know much about the virus. At first they called it Pandemic Of 2734. It was a hard illness. Every person that got it had a very small chance of surviving.

The death rates increased. The numbers were rising each time I blinked. Homeless were the first one to suffer. For them it was the hardest. By the first week, dozens of people were on the streets, motionless beginning to decay. Then, the second week of the pandemic came. As my family was slowly moving to get to Miracles just like a lot of people did, I was faced with something that made me question life itself.

I moved along the alleyways, fixing the shawl over my mouth, preventing the dust and potential virus from getting inside of my body. The wind lifted my hair into the dance, swirling at an impossible speed. I could hear whistling in my ears but I kept going. My emerald green eyes searched for the open store in the darkness.

It was around 11 or 12 at night. My sisters were asleep, and I saw my mom switching watch duty with my dad 45 minutes ago. We stationed a camp in the back of one of the warehouses. It was intact, and a good hiding spot. I wasn't sure how long we would stay there. We were moving a lot, rarely taking breaks.

Tennessee, where we were now, was the most vacant place we walked by so far. There were barely any survivors left. The streets were empty, still having a lingering smell of rotting flesh. Of death.

I snuck out once I was sure my mom was asleep. My dad was outside of the closest exit to us, holding the rifle, looking if any Infected were coming.