- Chapter 11 -

The designated groups separated just like it was planned

The designated groups separated just like it was planned. Cody, Dylan and I took the left wing of the hospital. The left wing was where all of the patients used to get treated. Most of the surgery rooms and waiting rooms were positioned here based on what Cody told me.

I looked around, taking notice of the building. Cody's incessant voice faded in the air. The first thing I looked for just like always were the exit doors. There were four that I counted so far. Each one was a good distance from the other. It made me feel safer knowing I wasn't trapped in here. Worst comes to worst, I could always leave.

The word leave sent a strange feeling down my spine. It frightened me. Even if I did manage to leave, where was I going to go? All alone I knew I had no chance of surviving. I anticipated that the Infected were going to spread and that the world was going to become much deadlier as the time passed. However, it was happening quicker than I thought. I didn't want to admit but the Infected were winning. By a lot. The only way you could have a chance of surviving was staying together.

As my mind drifted back to reality, Cody's voice was still jabbering. I noticed none of us had a map of the hospital and I wondered if they went here so many times they memorized every room in this ginormous place. However, Dylan didn't seem so well aware of the hospital either. He was almost as clueless as me.

I found myself asking, "Cody, how do you know this hospital so well?"

There was dead silence between us, and both of the guys stared at me like they forgot I had the ability to speak. Dylan glanced at Cody and I knew he was aware why Cody was so orientated around here. I could tell they were silently conversing between one another and I realized they were more than just trainers that shared the same faith. They were close.

I felt embarrassed even asking when Cody finally spoke, "Just spend a lot of time here ya' know?"

That was a vague answer but I didn't want to push it. He was reserved, and carefully chose his words, so I nodded, acting like I understood what he meant.

"Where are you from Aliana?" Dylan asked as we turned left, entering the surgical room.

I furrowed my brows at the hot air that hit my face as I answered, "New York City."

I wanted to continue the conversation because I was finally talking to the trainers. They finally acknowledged me. However, both Dylan and Cody didn't bother to say anything. They were getting out the list of supplies, focusing fully on the task in front of them. I followed their suit, ignoring the humidity of the room. I regretted choosing to wear the long - sleeved shirt. I could already feel droplets of sweat sliding down my back.

I looked at the list.

Needles. Sterliziers. Syringes. Anesthesia.

The list kept going and I moved to the drawers in the far corner, checking what's inside them. It was extremely dusty but filled with everything you needed. I took a handful of syringes and needles.