- Chapter 18 -

If the positions were reversed, would Chase save me just like I saved him?

The simple, same thought couldn't leave my mind. Even though I knew the answer from the beginning, I couldn't help but wonder if he would choose to sacrifice himself for a girl that consistently denied, questioned, and argued with him.

Definitely not.

I let go of Chase as he waited for me to close the gate, still trying to balance himself on one leg. My hands trembled as I took the metallic chain hooking it to the other side. The sound of growls from the house filled my ears as they stumbled towards us.

We were their only living prey.

"Let's go," I commanded through a weak whisper. Wrapping his arm around my neck, we started moving to the path we came from. "That gate won't hold them for long."

The chains rattled, invading the silence of the end of night. They were already trying to go through it.

The very first rays beamed through the clouds, fighting their way through. I considered it as a peace of hope, of the lightness that would fight for us in the midst of the darkness. We cautiously made our way to the forest, the trees welcoming us from both sides of the dirty road. I felt a tug in my chest, warning me to head the other direction. Any other direction.

There might be more of them waiting.

We kept walking, focused on the front of the path. Neither of us said a word to each other which I found rather comforting. It was better that way.

Chase and I never did talk about things in a calm and civilized manner. He couldn't care less that I was terrified of the world. That the position he put me in wasn't fair. If I did tell him that, it would only cause frustration for the both of us. As for me, there was no way to tell him that his foot was going to get better. It was definitely broken. He knew that too. It would have to take weeks for it to heal. I knew reassuring him wasn't something he would like.

As we moved further away from the haunted cabin, I could barely hear the Infected anymore. However, I still kept my guard up. You can never fail to stay focused, otherwise it might just cause you death.

We slowed down more and more after each second. Chase tried hard to keep going vigilantly but I could tell he was battling with the pain and losing. His face was drenched in sweat as he tried to keep up with my pace.

Knowing that, I slowed down and he instantly noticed, "Don't stop because of me. I'm fine."

I looked at him, and his vulnerability struck me. This was the only side of him I could feel slight remorse towards. "You don't look fine."

He scoffed, already finding it annoying so I chose not to say anything else. We continued to move through the path, nearing the end of the forest. I felt a strong sense of relief overflowing me.