- Chapter 15 -

The room would be pitch black if I didn't have a small flashlight turned on

The room would be pitch black if I didn't have a small flashlight turned on. Even the hallway lights were dim, barely providing luminescence, which was no surprise since it was one in the morning.

My eyes were pleading for me to close them and rest but I couldn't sleep. I would have had to be up in almost an hour anyways. Instead I kept writing, unable to get enough.

Exactly 58 minutes until I'm out in the world for a couple of hours.

No isolation. No creepy rooms. But also no protection against the Infected. And yet I'm glad that I won't have to face the trainers that are eyeing me down like an outsider every moment of every day.

Well...except for one.

I'm still confused why Chase wants me to come to wherever he is going. And, I'm even more confused why I am willing to go into an unknown, blindly following him where monsters restlessly lurk, hiding in the shadows.

I guess part of me wants to prove myself to him and maybe, even, prove myself to me. I don't want to be the sad, scared, helpless girl that I was ever since the outbreak, almost 4 months ago.

4 months ago.

That seems like such a long, agonizing time to be in this world. It was like that in the beginning. However, ever since I got to Ground Zero and met Jake, it didn't feel as bad anymore.

I haven't stopped thinking about my family but I have hope that they are doing well. Miracles is helping millions of people worldwide and I keep reminding myself my family is one of those people.

I wrapped up the daily journal, and started to get ready. I put a water bottle, and a wrapped sandwich I took from the cafeteria in my outworn backpack.

Better be prepared than sorry.

I didn't trust Chase's sudden urge to team up with me and go on the runs willingly. There had to be some kind of a trap. If anything happened, I would have no other choice but to run.

Under my pillow there was a hidden butcher knife I stole, again, from the cafeteria. It was the very first week here at Ground Zero. They disarmed us and took every weapon we had on the way there. I had to find something to defend myself with if chances arrived and that was the first thing I found.

I put that in my backpack as well, and quietly snuck out. Chase clearly stated to be careful and not let anyone see me getting to the back of the building which increased my nerves. I mean, sure no one was allowed to leave Ground Zero, not even the trainers after midnight but for some reason, I didn't think that was why Chase was so cautious.

I took the stairs. As I was descending down, it kept getting darker. I moved slowly, afraid of tripping and waking up everyone in that wing.

I reached the end of the stairs and moved to the metallic door trying to find the doorknob. This was the way that led straight to the meeting spot Chase told me about.

The moment I opened the door, I was greeted by the single flickering light bulb that was lighting up the whole room.

"Well...don't you look tired," Chase was by the black Jeep, starting it up.

I ignored his comment as I put the backpack in the passenger seat, moving to the section filled with weapons. I searched for the gun I had on the run a couple of days ago.

"You know," he started again and I wondered why he was so eager to talk to me. My gaze didn't leave the weapons but I attentively listened. "I'm surprised you found your way around the back so quickly. You've only been here once."

Obviously because I searched the whole building the first couple of nights...And I do have that map I drew just in case.

I didn't tell him that, only shrugged. "I remember things well."

I heard him hum as the engine rumbled to life. "Get in, we have to be back by the time the sun comes up."

"Look," I started, looking at him through the car's window screen. "I don't trust you and I don't know if this is just some way of you getting rid of me for good. So just tell me what your plan is."

His smile was only getting bigger as I talked. He fed off of my fear. I glared at him, waiting for him to finally tell me the plan.

"What's the fun in that then Aliana?"

I crossed my arms, unmoving. I demanded for him to explain to me why he wanted me to come.

He visibly sighed. "You are precious to the Commander, remember. So, you're ultimately protected."

He jumped out of the Jeep and creeped over to me. "I'm not gonna hurt you...that wouldn't serve my greater agenda."

I could tell he was teasing me and I was bemused, tired and ready to head back. His smirk was enough for me to drive that butcher knife through him. I suppressed myself.

He realized I had enough of his jokes already and gave in. "I'm just going to show you how my own runs are operated. Nothing special."

Even though he didn't say anything else, I believed him. For some reason, I could read him as good as he could read me if I tried hard enough. He started the car again and pulled out of the driveway.

Maybe Chase Ledger didn't have a secret plan after-all.

Short but a fun encounter with Chase and Aliana

Short but a fun encounter with Chase and Aliana. Please vote, comment and share this book. The new chapter will be up shortly. Hopefully you enjoyed it <33