- Chapter 13 -

A low, labored sound woke me up

A low, labored sound woke me up. I groaned, untangling myself from the warm embrace. I started slamming the alarm clock on my nightstand, desperately trying to hit the off button.

Why couldn't I find it?

"It's not on the nightstand."

My heart skipped a beat at Jake's voice. It was deep and tiring, leaving me wondering how someone can sound so attractive in the morning?

I glanced at him, memories of last night flooding through my mind.

I stayed over at his place.

Yesterday was such an exhausting day that I was still struggling to remember each detail. As his bare shoulders became visible under the white duvet, I instantly looked at myself to check if I was clothed.

Thankfully, I was.

Part of Jake's blonde hair was hanging, messily, over his blue eyes and I reached out to move it. His large hand enclosed around my wrist as he motioned for me to lay down.

"It's only 5," He informed me. "I forgot to change the clock. We have time until breakfast."

It was hard to reject his offer. All I wanted to do was be wrapped in Jake Smith's arms and let the days go by.

Sadly, I shook my head, putting my black boots on. "I wish," I admitted, standing up. "But there's not gonna be any people in the gym. It's the perfect time to train."

"I'll come," He was ready to stand up but I disagreed again.

"That's ok," I said, about to leave. "You should rest, and then we can meet at breakfast."

He reluctantly nodded, but still stood up. He came towards me and brushed a strand of hair away from my face.

Oh how much I hated his eyes.

There wasn't a time I didn't get lost in them.

He softly brushed his lips against mine. It was a feathery, lightweight touch but still equally as important as any other. Maybe even more.

It was a sign that assured me what I wondered since the day of my first run. It was the sign that Jake didn't need to confirm.

From this moment I knew that he was mine and I was his.

"5:20," Chase announced as he noticed me entering the gym. "Didn't think anybody was going to be here at this time."

Neither did I.

I observed him as he examined all the cartridges and armories. There were a million different options to choose from and I probably knew what one is called at most.

"I came to train," I answered simply, moving to the weightlifting area.

I picked up two weights, each being 25. I set up the bench that faced the long mirror. From the corner of my eyes, in the reflection, I couldn't help but look at Chase.

His dark eyes were focused on the task in front of him. I never paid much attention to him but a part of me wondered if he ever sleeps.

Most of the time he's on the run, or training late at night. Now, I found out early in the morning too. However, it wasn't like Chase complained. Somehow, it seemed like he enjoyed this. Maybe even needed this.

Time went on slowly as I trained. Suddenly, I realized a hand wrapped around the metal of the bar and pulled it up. Chase put it back in its place. I annoyingly sighed. My eyes looked up from the lying position and I saw him wiping his hands together, awaiting for me to stand up.

"What was that for?" I asked, confused.

"This," he motioned at the set - up. "This is too heavy for you."

I scoffed, rolling my eyes. "I was doing perfectly fine."

He raised his eyebrow at me, questionably. I reduced my unwanted attitude remembering who he was.

"You could barely lift it 5 times," He explained. "The first time, sure, it was perfect; every other time it seemed like the bar was going to crush you."

I hated Chase's honesty. I didn't want it or need it. I said nothing, waiting for him to add some other comment and only hoped he would be quick.

"Look Aliana," The way he said my name scared me. I was only called by my first name when I got in trouble, usually by my parents. "I'm trying to help you."

"Why?" It was a simple question tethered with tons of confusion. Why was he bothered about how I'm training? He was obligated to train me for a couple of days because the Commander ordered him to. Now, I was no longer his baggage.

"You might not know but Commander told me I'm still responsible for you. And if anything happens to you, I will be the one to pay." Somehow, he answered my question with no need for me to ask him. "And I prefer keeping in good graces with him even if it means having to waste a little of my time with you."

Of course Chase wasn't trying to help me because of the goodness of his heart. Chase was doing everything for himself. Every action by him had an underlying motive that would benefit only him. He took off weights of 15 and placed them in the correct place and motioned for me to start over.

I wordlessly listened, knowing fighting with Chase was an ending battle I'm bound to lose. I picked up the bar and started over, each time cursing whoever caused the world to be lived like this.

___________

A shorter chapter - could be considered as a filler one

A shorter chapter - could be considered as a filler one. But I feel like those are equally important for the book to turn out good.

Make sure you comment, vote and share. Hope you enjoyed it, next update will be soon :)