- Chapter 20 -

Kana was busy checking Chase so I was scrutinized by a girl named Lily

Kana was busy checking Chase so I was scrutinized by a girl named Lily. She had short, blonde hair with pink highlights that matched well with her amber eyes. I was seated on the examination table, and she still towered over me. I have never seen her before but she seemed experienced, welcoming, and friendly. Kana could learn a lesson or two from her.

Bright flashlight shone into my right eye. I suppressed myself from squinting as Lily examined any signs of disease awaiting to develop. "It seems like you are all good!" she declared, her voice high and beaming "All that's left is for me to check your pulse and you'll be good to go."

I nodded, not having energy to speak. All I wanted to do was rest. I knew I couldn't until I found Jake. Commander might have been the way he was, but I had no clue how Jake was going to react.

"I gotta tell you...Kana updated me about what happened with you and Chase." Lily's voice dropped down an octave, her voice lowering. She didn't want it to reach the other end of the medical wing. Even though Chase was on the other side, the only thing that separated us in this white room was a dark blue curtain.

I furrowed my brows, Kana doesn't know about what really happened. Or does she?

"What has she told you?"

She shrugged, "She doesn't know much. Just that you two went out and completely obliterated the herd of the Infected you came across."

Is that how we looked?

I certainly thought the opposite. However, I didn't reveal much information. After all, I could tell Lily was prying. Instead, I acknowledged her by a hum, deep in thought.

"But she sure is pissed that rumors are flying around how a newbie is spending plenty of suspicious time with her boyfriend."

I almost dropped the cup of water Lily gave me on the gray tiles. My body froze in revelation. Have I heard her right?

Kana?

Boyfriend?

Boyfriend as in Chase?

As in Chase Ledger?

Her amber eyes looked for any signs of me moving. I snapped back to reality and gasped out, "Kana is dating Chase?"

She moved back, putting the pulse oximeter back into the cabinet. "Oh you poor thing..." she muttered under her breath, looking at me with worry. "They've been for a few weeks now. Chase finally found someone right for him."

How could I have not realized yet? Kana hated me from the beginning because she liked Chase. It had to be it. Him having to be assigned to train me was something that bothered her all along.

"You seem sad." Lily's words pulled me back again. Questions burned in my mind, confusing my rationality.

"I'm not sad," I denied, standing up. I figured my check-up was over once she was done with checking my pulse. I was ready to leave. "I'm just shocked. That's all."