Part 13: Juniper Get Your Gun

Timeline: S1, E18: How to Make Enemies and Bend People to Your Will 

Juniper sighed as she sat at the register, it was a slow day again. On days like these, she would be working on weapons for her boss, but she had been putting it off a lot more than she should. Just as she was about to doze off, a note fell in front of her and she opened it up. She always enjoyed her little notes from Sophie and her brothers, it made her day most of the time.

Dear Juniper,

Everything is so much better now the whole truth is out, and even my dad knows about everything. I think we're stronger than ever and that mean, old Draxum has no idea what's coming his way. Also, Donnie would like your opinion on these blueprints and Mikey wanted you to have this picture he drew. I miss you and maybe you could come to visit the city, it's actually really fun here! I promise!

Sophie

Juniper giggled and saw folded a picture Mikey had drawn of her with a bunch of stars and hearts. She walked into her workshop, taping it on the wall. She smiled to herself, then looked over at the note from her boss. It was written in code but the message was clear: Get our weapons done or else. Her mood turned sour, she had always thought of her mob work as a means to an end. She'll do some dirty work for a bit then no more debt, that's what she was promised. She had sung that tune for almost 20 years, but every so often she began to wonder if she would ever have a life again. 

She sighed and pulled a book on her shelf forward and the desk pulled apart. Inside was a room full of weapons and materials she needed to hide away, while the Hidden City police were incompetent, Big Mama wasn't. As she picked up the battery, the metal walls made her hair stand on end with how cold they were. Juniper groaned but calmed herself with a big deep breath in and out. 

She began to head out when the store bell rang. The doors almost closed and she had to hurry back out. The doors closed at the slightest sound, Juniper was lucky that she never was locked in. As she set the battery down she fluffed up her hair and walked back into the shop.

"Welcome to my shop, how can I help-"

She stopped in her tracks, in her shop was Baron Draxum. She hadn't seen him in almost fifteen years, what was he doing in her store? Juniper's eyes quickly darted at the letter then back at Draxum.

"Oh Baron, sorry. I'm just surprised, I haven't seen you in years," Juniper chuckled, as she made it to her counter, putting her arms over the letter and seal. The last thing she needed was this lunatic getting his claws on it. One of her hands went under the counter to grab her gun.

"Hello Juniper, yes it had been too long," he stated, looking around the shop, picking up a tool to inspect. She gave him a small smile, taking a random piece of paper and sliding it on top of her letter.

"You know word travels fast in the city. I heard that not too long ago you fought some goons from the Makers of Brutality with a little green and pink mutant turtle by your side," he said, putting down the tool and turning to face her.

"Well, you also know gossip travels fast in this city. Yes, I was at the train station, and some people got into a fight while I was there. I wasn't involved and didn't see any turtles," Juniper lied, leaning against her counter and gripping the gun.

"Now now Juniper, you should know what I do to lairs," Draxum said, his vines smashing a few shelves around.

She gasped and stood up straight to confront him, giving him an opportunity to grab the papers on the desk. Luckily Juniper was able to grab the seal from him. As he read over the letter, he tore it up the moment he was done. 

Juniper quickly ran to the workroom, in hopes to get to the kitchen and out the back door. During the commotion, she grabbed a piece of paper and quickly wrote out a note. Her path was stopped when a vine crashed through her wall, blocking her way to the kitchen, and when she tried to run back the way she came Draxum. She was trapped in her workshop and face-to-face with her old friend. 

"Your old secret message seal, this is almost too easy," Draxum remarked as he moved closer to her. Juniper growled and pulled out her blaster gun that was on the table.

"Now, now let's not do anything drastic. Don't you remember those nights we'd stay up talking out our dreams for the future? You can still have that future, I am working with some warriors that have a weapon to destroy the scum above. Humans have taken everything from us, and those brats have chosen them over us. Help me set a trap," Draxum appealed, the way he spoke brought her right back to her youth. He knew how to draw in a crowd when he wanted to. 

She shook her head and pushed the seal, making the note disappear in an instant.

"You know there was a time when I would've done anything for you, I would have destroyed anything and anyone for you. Then I really started to listen, and it became crystal clear where your priorities have always been. If you really wanted to make life better for people like me, you would've helped dissolve the mobs that have kept people in debt, or hell take Big Mama down a peg. You hate humans more than you love yokai and I won't let you hurt those kids," Juniper sneered, and took her gun out.

Draxum was about to attack when Juniper threw the battery at Draxum and was about to shoot it. A gunshot was the last thing he heard before he brought all his vines back to him to make a shield. After the explosion, he opened up his shield and looked around to see the shop was in ruins. He looked down to see part of Juniper's horn was on the ground and picked it up.

"Oh Juniper, you were too far gone," Draxum sighed, throwing it down to the ground. He quickly left the home, dodging the commotion in the process.