Part 12: The Shadow that Follows

(Authors Note: This chapter is basically a rewrite of the S1, E15: Shadow of Evil. I'm finally done with finals and I have so much to share with you guys. Thank you for your patience and time :} )

-

Sophie sat in her room, waiting for Juniper's note. Ever since she fought those twins, the secrets about Draxum were starting to weigh on her. She knew there was no one here she could talk to it other than Juniper. So in a few letters, she explained the whole story and asked her for advice to tell her family. Just as she went to faceplant into her bed, a tiny pop could be heard, and she saw the letter land on her bed. 

Sophie smiled as she picked it up and immediately opened it:

Sophie,

First off, when I see you in person again we are going out for ice cream because my god that sounded awful, and you deserve a day off. Second, I hate to tell you this but there will be no right time to tell your family. I'm saying that because there will always be a reason to keep that secret tucked away. I think the best thing for you to do is just to sit them all down and rip off that bandaid. Sooner or later they will find out, and they will only get angry the longer you keep it from them. Just remember if you need any more help, I am here for you darling. Also, tell Donatello while I appreciate the offer, he can not have the battery in the back. It will explode the moment it gets there, it is very fragile. Can't wait to hear from you again, hopefully with good news.

Best,

Juniper

Sophie sighed as she finished the letter, setting it to the side. Juniper was right, it was time to rip off the bandaid. Her brothers were off at a zoo, they had heard of some kind of disturbance, but as soon as they got back she would tell them. She walked out of her room, deciding to get a cup of tea and hype herself up to tell them. In the kitchen, she was surprised to see April. 

"Hey, Sophie!" she greeted, and gave her a hug, "Your bros told me about what Draxum did. I'm sorry, but don't worry I know we'll get that jerk soon."

"Yeah, I don't doubt that," Sophie agreed, feeling a little sting when she heard his name, "Why are you wearing a foot?"

"Oh, it's my new job! I came to tell the guys but I guess they aren't here," April shrugged when Splinter walked in. 

Before he could welcome the two girls, the large orange symbol on April's scared him half to death. The two of them imminently took notice of this and gave each other a look of concern before looking back at him. 

"You okay dad?" Sophie asked, rushing up to him. Splinter wouldn't take his eyes off the shirt though.

"That is a curious symbol on your shirt April," he said, his voice uncharacteristically serious. She looked down at her shirt and then back at him.

"The logo for the shoe store I work at, the Foot Shack. I was just telling Sophie about it," April responded, before looking at her watch, "I got to go. I'll be seeing you guys."

As she walked out, Sophie got up to get some tea for herself and her dad. Splinter sat at the dinner table, his mind lost in thought. Once Sophie sat back down with the two cups, he perked up.

"My dearest Pink, weren't you talking about how you needed new shoes?" Splinter asked while Sophie took a sip of her tea. 

"Uh dad, I don't have any shoes. I don't need them," she responded, setting her cup back down. 

"Why don't we go to the store April was talking about? Some father-daughter time," he suggested as Sophie nodded her head excitedly. 

She ran out of the kitchen and to her room to get ready. Her dad hardly left his chair let alone the lair, so having quality time was something you jumped at the chance for. She put on some baggy human clothes and grabbed her backpack. Before she left, she threw her gear inside the bag as well. She didn't know why, but she had a feeling she'd need it. When she came out, Splinter looked like a sitcom dad complete with a baggy button-up shirt and a tie that was way too long.