Part 19: Let's Have a Stake-Out

Timeline: S2, E05: Pizza Puffs

Sophie sat at the edge of the roof and watched the building across the road. She was so focused on the windows that she almost lost her balance when her phone rang.

"Uh, hey Juniper," she said, catching herself and going back to watching the building.

"Hello doll, I got almost everyone on the third floor in my apartment for the party. Are you sure you're ready to catch this robber?" Juniper asked, looking out the window to see if she could spot her.

"Yes of course I am. Trust me, this creep has hit every floor except yours and my party plan will for sure lure them in. Just keep everyone distracted for a couple of hours, and you won't have to fix any more busted locks," Sophie reassured, waving at the window when she spotted her.

"I hope so, I've had to fix ten in the last month, always all scratched up. You know, I've started to have nightmares about keys coming to get me," she joked, giggling to herself, "well if you see something, call first. I don't need you getting roped in something dangerous."

"Juniper, I literally fought a metal demon beast from ancient Japan. I can handle an amateur robber."

"You can't keep using that as an excuse to- whatever, just call me first. Bye."

Sophie hung up and looked around the dark windows. Not a moment had passed when the sound of shuffling came from behind her. She looked behind her and pulled out her fans, in one fell swoop she made a strong wind towards the sound. A big oof could be heard, wait she where had she heard that voice before?

She ran where the sound was and it was Raph facing down on the hard concrete floor of the roof. Sophie gasped as she helped her brother up.

"Raph, I'm so sorry. Wait, what are you doing here? I thought you were helping the guys with their pizza puff problem," she said, pulling off some of the leaves from his spiky shell.

"We managed to fix all that. Turns out one of the side effects of poison pizza puffs is stomach aches and I'm trying to teach them that I won't bail them out of trouble. So they're dealing with their sickness by themselves," he said in a matter-of-fact tone, "So I'm here to help you with this stakeout. You were the only smart one who was smart enough to NOT eat any pizza puffs."

"Oh yeeeeeeah, I was smart enough to realize they were poisoned and definitely didn't sleep in too late that they were all eaten when I woke up," Sophie chuckled nervously, walking back to her spot to sit.

Raph sat next to her, also watching the building intensely. Although the air had a touch of awkwardness. This was the first time in a long time they had hung out one-on-one together. She couldn't explain it but one day Raph went from her brother to her BIG brother, almost a second dad. Sure, he would goof around with the rest of them and bend the rules, but there would be a lecture or an overbearingness looming over them. She didn't know how to talk to him outside of being a leader.

"So any idea who's robbing the building?" Raph asked after a moment, and Sophie shrugged.

"Juniper has her theories but I think it's someone in the building. They know the layout so well, and there's only one thing to do-"

"Don't worry your pretty little head, your big bro's got this. We gotta get closer and check each room, to get the jump on them," Raph cut off and stood straight up.

"Whoa, whoa Raph. I've got a plan ready. Juniper got everyone on the third floor at a party. So I watch the building from afar and then call Juniper if I see something suspicious. It's more of a one-person plan, but I do enjoy the company," Sophie explained, giving him a small smile. She sat back down, looking back at the building.