010

Dahlia wakes up the next day to the sound of ocean waves and seagulls. She doesn't know what time it is, but their room is filled with sunshine and the smell of the ocean and crisp Hawaiian air.

She sits up a bit, rubbing her eyes. After being so late yesterday, it takes her longer than she cares to admit to even remember she's not home in his apartment.

She turns to look at the other side of the bed when she remembers that Jenna is there next to her. She is still sleeping soundly; one of her arms curled under her head, the other lying against the sheet under her. Her lips are parted slightly as she breathes evenly, Dahlia leans against the bed and yawns, trying not to wake her. She's actually quite impressed that she's still sleeping since she slept so much yesterday.

Dahlia turns and stares out the glass window, smiling at the beauty and the excitement of all the new things she's going to experience on this vacation. She can't remember the last time she woke up and felt this happy and carefree, and it's almost surreal to be here right now.

So she clasps her hands together and puts them behind her head, her elbows pointing up as she tries to completely relax and take in all of her beautiful surroundings. She glances over at Jenna again, savoring that rare moment when she doesn't have any spunk on her face and she isn't laughing at her. She's just there, her face and body relaxed, and she actually looks peaceful. It's kind of weird seeing her like that.

She watches her when suddenly there is a loud knock on the door, overcrowding her. Dahlia lies down and then closes her eyes, pretending to be asleep.

"God," Jenna moaned, pulling the pillow over her head.

"Jenna? Dahlia ? We have a family tennis match in twenty minutes! Open up!" Her aunt knocks on the door, and Dahlia moves to her side, turning to Jenna.

"Get up and open the door," Jenna kicks herunder the blanket, dropping her arm on the pillow that's still on her head.

"Nope ! It's your aunt, it's weird!" Dahlia insists, whispering so she can't hear her. "I'm not going to...answer the door after she knows we just slept together!"

"Everyone here already thinks we're fucking, Dahlia!" Jenna pulls the blanket and pillow from her head, very clearly annoyed. She smooths her eyes, hair in her face as she stares at her.

"That doesn't make me feel any better," Dahlia replies, and then her aunt knocks on the door again.

"You're absolutely no help," she moaned in frustration again, pulling the blanket off herself and walking sleepily to the door. Dahlia sits down and fixes her hair, breathing.

" Hello!" Her aunt enters, already having a cocktail in hand, pushing her sunglasses to the top of her head with her other. "Sleepyhead's - there's almost ten of them already! Jenna, you need to come to my room for a few minutes to put on your new outfit. Oh, and I brought a present for you - something I think Dahlia might really like it, if you know what I mean."

She pulls a decent-sized box from the beach bag hanging from her arm, the box wrapped in a pink bow.

"Oh, like a shared gift?" Dahlia smiles and stands up to watch, unsure of what they're talking about. Jenna just subtly shakes her head at her, sighing. Dahlia furrows her eyebrows in confusion, as Jenna removes the bow and opens the box.

His aunt smiles and takes a sip from her glass, eagerly waiting for Jenna to see what it is.

"Oh...yes," Jenna forces a smile, pulling a piece of black cloth from the box. It's silk and lace and ninety-five percent transparent, and Dahlia swallows it. Her family is so weird.

"I'm so glad you're old enough now that I can give you things like this," Camila sighs, patting her on the back. " Do you like it?"

"Yes, yes, of course," laughs Jenna, throwing her down and picking up the matching thong. There's hardly anything to hold as her fingers hold the strings on either side. "Thank you, Aunt Camila. Too bad we didn't get that last night, huh, Dahlia."

"I know this might be weird for you since I'm family and everyone, but I saw it and couldn't help myself!And you're both adults, so I refuse to be one of those old people who ignores the fact that my niece is having sex. I think it is very good and healthy for you. Don't talk to your mother about that, she can kill me." Her aunt laughs a little, and Dahlia swallows thickly, still not finding the courage to say anything. "I have the same set - Juan couldn't keep his hands off me!"

"So how do you like it, honey?" Jenna holds it in front of her, biting her lip and raising her
eyebrows suggestively.

"Oh yeah, I...can't wait to see you wearing that," Dahlia nods, suddenly finding it hard to breathe. Jenna is having way too much fun right now.

"Aww, she's so shy," Jenna walks over and lays her head on her shoulder, looking at her pityingly. "Gentlewomen in the streets, but a monster in the sheets, that's what I tell people. You would never expect moves like this." Jenna laughed, fading dramatically.

Dahlia wants to die.

"Well I guess we should go get that tennis outfit, yeah?" Jenna squeezes Dahlia's arm, before crossing the room to her aunt, placing the underwear back in the box.

"Yes! I bought a tennis set for you too, Dahlia," her aunt pulls a gift bag out now, handing it over to her. "Me and Jenna will just be a few rooms down-meet us in ten!"

"Okay, yeah," she nods, rubbing the back of her neck. Her heart is still racing from the complete humiliation. "Bye!"

"Wait a minute. I know you want to kiss goodbye, so go ahead," her aunt laughs, watching them. "I'll turn away if you want."

"No, we...we're fine," Jenna waves her off, walking away from Dahlia. "We kissed a lot last night if you know what I mean."

Dahlia sighs, flushing a deep red again. Does she have to say things like that?

"Come on, I'm supposed to be the cool aunt, right?" Camila explains, turning Jenna around to face Dahlia. They're looking in each other's eyes, finally having to face the moment they've both been dreading. "So give me a chance to be!"

"I think you already covered that base when you gave me lingerie," Jenna mutters, and Dahlia can't help but laugh a little.

"Well, I read that you're supposed to give one every time you leave them, and every time you greet them. Secret to a great relationship!"

"Okay," Jenna nods, stepping forward. Dahlia is so tense and rigid, that she feels like she can barely even move her legs to walk to her. "I'm about to kiss you then, Dahlia. On the lips. I'm gonna kiss my Girlfriend."

"Mhmm," Dahlia nods, taking in a long breath as they get close. Her head is spinning.

She thought Jenna might hesitate, might look at her to have one of those silent conversations they always seem to be having when her family is around. But she doesn't. She just leans in, puts her hands on either side of her face, and presses her lips to her.

Her heartbeat is loud in her ears then, as she puts her hands on her arms, pulling her closer, somehow still being able to taste vanilla on her lips from her chapstick the night before. Her hand slowly falls across her cheek, her neck, before she places it flat against her chest. She feels her warm, wet lips pressing into her's gently, slowly, expertly.

"Okay, gotta go," Jenna replies against her lips, before pulling away. Then, brushing past her aunt and walking out the door, she says, "happy?" Dahlia can still hear her aunt talking about how it should become habitual, before their voices fade out and there's only the waves again.

She sits down on the edge of the bed, breathing in deeply and mentally going over what just happened.
She reaches up and lightly touches her fingers to her swollen lips, before running her fingers through his hair and sighing. It wasn't bad, no; it's actually quite the opposite, which freaks her out even worse. It was good. A great kiss, even, which is confusing. She thought it would be repulsive, disgusting, gag-worthy, but it wasn't. And it's weird to experience something new with a person you've known for so long. But at least the initial scare factor is over with, and it won't have to be nearly as terrifying if they have to do it again. And hopefully it'll look more natural.

Dahlia wonders how Jenna feels about it.