035

They don't talk the entire car ride home, or the walk down the dock, or even when they get back to their room

They don't talk the entire car ride home, or the walk down the dock, or even when they get back to their room. Not only is there a slightly awkward and tension-filled air between them, but there's also the fact that they're completely drunk and can't even think straight. Or walk straight.

"I'm pretty drunk right now," Dahlia sighs, leaning back against their door.

"Yeah, me too," Jenna smiles a little and then she laughs, but their laughter dies down after only a few seconds when they look at each other.

Sober Dahlia can look away and somewhat control her brain and her thoughts, but she's quickly finding out that drunk Dahlia cannot. And she's so incredibly beautiful and funny and smart and witty and Dahlia actually can't breathe.

Jenna gives a small laugh which helps the sudden tension a little, but not enough. And then she's leaning down to pull her shoes off, and one of the straps on her dress falls over her shoulder in the process, and Dahlia notices something that she really, really wishes she didn't have to notice when this is all already so difficult.

"Are you...wearing the lingerie?" Dahlia asks quietly, seeing the lace-lined strap there, and her eyes follow it down to where it disappears beneath her dress. She tries not to stare but her drunken mind won't let her turn away.

"Yeah," Jenna tells her, lifting her head to look at her through her lashes. "Mia convinced me to where it for you tonight. They said it would drive you crazy just to know I had been wearing it under my dress."

"Oh," she nods, trying to force a laugh to lighten the mood but not succeeding. She can't even form a coherent thought, much less actual words.

"Mhmm," Jenna nods, stepping out of her shoes and standing in front of her. She doesn't even bother to pull the strap of her dress back up, even though she really wishes she would so she could maybe start thinking rationally again. "Do you think it worked?"

"What worked?" Dahlia asks, their voices getting lower and lower with each reply they give each other.

"The lingerie," Jenna smiles a little, reaching up to slide her thumb beneath the strap. She traces the skin beneath the lace slowly, and she's looking at her, and she has to part his lips so she can finally breathe. "How do you feel knowing that I wore it tonight under my dress?"

Dahlia feels her gaze on her, and she has a barely-noticeable smirk on her face, and she knows she's trying to tease her. But this is different than when they're fighting or bantering: this is real teasing.

Dahlia can imagine that lingerie set under her dress now: tight and lacy and lined with silk. And she has to clench her jaw and fist right now to keep from doing something incredibly stupid and irrational.

But it doesn't work.

"Jenna," she breathes out, surprised herself by how shallow her breath is. They stand there staring at each other, and even her smile has dropped now.