14 | The Devil with Pillows and Blankets

Emerald's POV

The day passed by silently and by the time it was time for me to go home, I was exhausted.

"Oh thank goodness, I'm done for today!" I groaned while Charm laughed beside me. She began to pick up the papers I had laid on the floor earlier to have a better look at my designs.

"Do you need me to send you a masseuse? You seem to need it, miss." She suggested, gesturing towards me who was currently trying to stretch on my seat.

"I should have that. Alright. Send someone to the penthouse like usual." I ordered her and she quickly nodded before leaving my office, taking the papers she had picked up with her. My phone pinged interrupting my peace in the office. Picking it up, I saw it was a message from Max.

Max: Hey. I miss you <3

I smiled at the text. Leaning against my chair, I began to relax. I haven't seen Max in a while but he certainly knew how to show that he was still present for me.

Me: Hey. I miss you too. How was your day?

Max: Tiring. Would have loved my day with you by my side.

I felt a rush of heat spread across my cheeks at what I read. I shouldn't believe whatever he says but I felt like a teenage girl having a first conversation with her crush. Stop this nonsense, Em. You're a big girl already. I mentally scolded myself for being swayed at the sweet words this prince was telling me. But then, he wasn't a normal human being. He was... different. He's the prince...

Me: You should rest, then. Your royal duties must have drained all your energy for the day.

Max: You are my form of rest. You relax me, Emerald. Keep talking to me.

Me: I don't know what to say

I frankly texted him that. I didn't know. Normally, I would not entertain guys, texting til' I drop but I can't let my phone go and ignore the prince. I felt the thrill texting him and it felt good. I wonder how it would feel to spend the day with him after work. I bit my lip at the thought. I was never the girl to have a boyfriend to take care of or to have after work. It felt strange to have this relationship with Max to begin with.

Max: You can talk to me about work. Can I call you?

I didn't even hesitate and texted him that he could give me a call. Not even a second and my phone rang, my nerves in shambles as I slid my thumb on the phone screen to answer him.

"Hi..." I bit my lip as I greeted him over the phone, my feet pushing against the floor causing my chair to make me do a 180° turn.

"Hey baby. How are you?" His baritone voice sent shivers down my spine. My heart dropped at the thought. Do I long for his presence here? Why was I excited to talk to him?

"I'm tired but I'll be fine."

"You can send Axel to get what you want, babe. What do you want? Chocolates? Wine? Shopping?"