10 | Do Not Drop the Bomb in the Queen's Castle

Emerald's POV

The next day, I was more cautious with the way I speak with Axel. Something tells me he's not someone I should mess up with or else I'll get into deep trouble. He gives off this easy, relaxed atmosphere but then he'll switch into this dark, serious and dangerous guy who makes people avoid him. I would only talk to him when spoken to and I watched every word that I say. Deep inside me, there's a warning in my head not to piss him off. It's weird but yesterday made me doubt of his intentions and true purpose. Hell! When I was about to sleep, I even thought of him as a secret assassin who would not even blink to kill someone. That really unsettled me.

"Emeralda?" I jumped from my seat upon hearing his voice.

"Good God! Don't scare me like that." My heart was beating faster and I had to place my hand on my chest to calm myself down.

"Sorry. Are you free?" He asked as he entered my office, his big strides making him reach me in just seconds. He went to sit on one of the winged chairs opposite to my table and faced me.

"I am. Why? Can I help you?" I asked placing my hands on my lap and played with my fingers. Why the fuck was I nervous? He won't kill me or anything... right?

"Are you okay?" His question made me stop and think if I hallucinated there for a second.

"What? What do you mean?"

"You have been spacing out. You don't look okay to me." He said, his eyes bearing into mine. I wet my lips, intimidated and nervous of his stare at me. He was looking at me as if he was going to burn me and I wanted to say something but I was afraid he'll get offended and kick my ass.

"I'm fine. I'm just stressed."

"You don't look like this is just stress. Answer me frankly, Emeralda." His voice went deeper and I went stiff, now getting cautious and a little bit afraid of him. He told me that I had no idea who he was and that took me to dark and dangerous places inside my head.

"Uhm..." My throat got clogged and I tried swallowing the nervousness but failed.

"Em?" He wore a concerned look on his face now with hsi eyebrows scrounched up and his eyes assessing me. I began to scratch my left elbow; a manner of mine whenever I'm nervous of confrontations and facing crowds.

"You're scared. What are you scared of? Are you hurt? Who hurt you?" He stated and I shot him a confused look. How can he know what I felt?

"How do you know?" I asked in a small voice and he stood up from his seat and went to my side. I clenched my fists and held on to my skirt tight not knowing what he was going to do next. He's not going to hurt me. He's not going to hurt me. He's my bodyguard. That would be insane of him to hurt me, right? The deep fear in me grew as he close to me and I trembled. I was glad that I was not standing or else my legs would have given out. I wasn't sure and I couldn't pinpoint why I was so scared of him. For all I know, I was giving him every sass and sarcasm before but now, I was afraid that he was more than a bodyguard. I remember him telling me he was not just a bodyguard and I was afraid I was messing up with the wrong person. I gasped as he kneeled in front of me and placed his hands on my trembling ones.

"Who are you scared of, Emeralda? You can tell me." His voice was soft and calming now and I bit my lips. I didn't want to tell him that I was now scared of him. What if he someone who works to make a person silent forever? Has he killed anyone?

"Em?"

"Uhmmm... I can't tell you." I looked away from him, hating the idea of him facing me right now. I really don't like confrontations and this was not sitting on me well. I heard him sigh and then, he did something I didn't expect. A gasp left my lips as he placed both of his hands on my face and cupped my cheeks, making me look directly into his green eyes. How can he have peaceful and calming eyes like that but has a very mysterious and dangerous job? His beautiful eyes didn't mix with his personality. Who was he?