28. Old Friends, New Memories

Recap

-----------

"Wow, i guess it's true. But now that I'm warmed up, it's time to start the real fun." He smirked.

"Bring it on Hayes." I smirked back at him.

Alec Hayes was my brother's best friend. They were always battling each other to see who was better. My brother had always won but Alec had that same mindset as me,' if it wasn't this time, it would be next time.'

This is going to be fun.

Present

"You know, you might actually be better than your brother." Alec laughed as we sat on the bench.

"But...he always won against you...and you beat me." I sighed.

"Because i have 10 years of experience on you. You are a really good player. Hell, you would probably beat everyone on my team now. Just because you lost one game doesn't mean you aren't good."

"Thanks for this."

"For what?"

"It was nice having someone who was at my brothers' level to play against."

"You could have beaten me you know."

"How?" I questioned.

"You were holding back. Thats why you lost. When you play, you can't hold back. You have to give it your all until the very end..."

"He always said that...but with me it's different. If i push myself too hard for a long period of time...i could injure myself..."

"What do you mean?"

"I have a heart problem sort of thing... it lessens the amount of oxygen that can circulate through my body. I can still play but the doctor said i can't push too hard. Thats why i always hold back."

"That didn't stop your brother from playing."

"What? He had it too?" I asked surprised.

"Yeah. One time we were playing against each other at the park. Suddenly he collapsed saying he felt lightheaded, and he said it felt like someone was pushing on his chest. Your mom took him to the hospital and found out he had the same problem. They told him not to push himself anymore. But he didn't let that stop him. He pushed himself every second of every game to his full potential. Thats what i admired about him. He never gave up no matter what could happen to him...that's why he would always stand up for you. He wasn't going to let your dad ruin your dream."

"I...i had no idea...why didn't they tell me?"

"They didn't want you to worry." He gave me a small smile before wrapping his arm around my shoulders. "But hey. Look at you now. You have a great team and coach. I bet your mom is proud. Speaking of...how is she with everything?" He asked.

"She died..." I sighed.

"Oh...I'm sorry."

"It's ok. You didn't know."

"So... are you living with your dad still?"

"God no. He kicked me out for playing basketball so I'm living with a friend."

"I always hated him." He said. I laughed.

"Something we can agree on."

"There's that laugh. Come on. We still got a couple of hours till you can go back. I'll show you some moves." He said standing up.

"But...we've been playing almost all day..." I wined also standing up.

"Listen i would let you go if it were up to me but...your coach she's..."