6 - 10

6. Honeypot (inspired by "The Water Cure" on AO3)

Nakia's gentle but firm voice repeated in her head. Her red box braids were bundled upon her head, and she looked at Shuri with a serious expression. Adorable Toussaint was napping in the back of the house after a day full of playing with his favorite aunty. The tea on the kitchen table was now getting cold.

"He's obviously... smitten with you." Nakia had begun, swallowing back disgust. "It's in those eyes. You've found favor in the king's sight."

Shuri scoffed. But she couldn't deny it. For a man (god?) so ruthless he could be like a lovesick schoolboy. These days he was always finding an excuse to bubble up to the surface. After all he had done, she found she could be civil with him. She somewhat enjoyed his company. Even acknowledging within herself if things had been different, she could have truly fallen for him. But not anymore. There are some actions you cannot come back from.

Nakia laid out more evidence. "Y'know he stormed out at the last council meeting when he realized you weren't going to be there. M'Baku kept calling for "Fish Man," but once he knew you'd be in your lab, he said the meeting was worthless."

"That bastard! He literally wrung Wakanda's neck for this alliance. And that's how he acts." Shuri threw her hands up before slamming a fist onto the table. Nakia's beach house in Haiti was built well to withstand the strength of her panther abilities. Immediately, she regained control of her annoyance.

"No, Shuri. The only alliance I think he wants is with you," Nakia reached across the dinner plates and grabbed her hand, a sisterly gesture and an emphasis on what she had deduced.

"If it's a marriage in name only, then fine. I don't care. It's not as if I'd live my life underwater."

"Be realistic, sister. You've seen that demon react when he doesn't get his way." Shuri heard Nakia's voice clearly as the woman went rummaging around for something in her kitchen.

Nakia had to shuffle around some dishware, but she returned with a pair of dazzling green earrings. She smacked away Shuri's hand when she tried to see the earring's underside.

"What? It's mine, isn't it? Can't I see if it has an earring back? I've so many earrings that I can't wear for having misplaced the stupid backings." Shuri huffed, a resurgence of the bratty little sister showing up for the first time in so long.

"The earring tips are coated with poison. They're jade earrings, which Namor seems to fancy. His favorite colors are green and brown after all."

Shuri's eyebrows lifted. Nakia was so perceptive. You had to be as a spy. She wondered what the woman knew about herself but didn't voice. Shuri suddenly sat up a bit straighter.

"The next time he invites you to Talokan. Find a way to rid us of him permanently. Use your beauty if you have to."

She didn't know why her throat suddenly went dry. For all his mayhem, she didn't doubt how much he cared for his people. "Will it kill him?"

"Hopefully. The full dosage is both earrings, but for you ... just use one."

Shuri didn't know what made Nakia relent or why her expression saddened as if she knew something. Knew Shuri wouldn't be ruthless enough to kill him completely.

"When?"

"I... I don't know. We don't have Google Calendar invites. I usually just blow the shell he gave us. There's never a set time."

"Tomorrow."

Shuri could only sigh, wary.

"You know what you must do."