Here She Goes! pt 3.

Yemi stepped out from the machine's orange glowing slit into her bedroom, falling face-first onto her bed. She felt a sharper pain of brain freeze this time from the prolonged multiverse usage. Once that settled, she sighed in relief.

Her bedroom was left as it was before. Broken pieces of shells, string, and glue littered her table. She had tried everything before deciding to go to the source.

She jingled her bag full of other world goodies. Her secret shark teeth headband was hidden in her drawer, and she stuffed the new Talokan dress under her Wakandan lapa skirt.

Checking again that the bracelet and the backup were in her pocket, Yemi stumbled into the hallway. Mama was talking to one of the house attendants about something until she caught her eye.

Her mother's long, beaded box braids made a loud slap sound from the swift movement of her head. Queen Shuri was beautiful and frowning.

If Yemi didn't explain this right, she was going to get in trouble and be banned from whale riding again!

"Mama! I've been looking for you," Yemi said, shifting to give her a hug careful to miss her prominent baby bump.

Mama wasn't easily fooled. "Girl, I've been looking all over for you! Where have you been? The attendants have served dinner, and it's getting cold. More importantly, your father was expecting you to teach the little ones how to basketweave. Thankfully, Attuma filled in, but you let those guppies down."

Yemi sighed. She would make it up to the little kids later for sure. Being Ku'uk'ulkan's daughter, he expected her to be as involved with the community as he was. Sometimes, it was downright annoying but most of the time she didn't mind. There was still no way she was going to follow in his footsteps.

"Baba!" She yelled.

Shuri fought a smile. "Don't call for him. He won't save you."

A pair of strong arms wrapped around her mother's waist. Yemi was getting better at detecting his near-silent movements.

"I'll always protect our daughter." He planted a loud smack of a kiss on Shuri's cheek, which drew out a squeal from her.

Yemi cleared her throat. "Okay, enough you two. You already have twins on the way, sheesh."

"No promises."

"Ku'uk'ulkan!" Shuri cried, more amused than aghast.

"ANYWAY," Yemi began. Eww, she knew how her parents got when left undisturbed for too long. "I know how sad you were Mama when your bracelet broke, so I fixed it. Happy anniversary, guys."

Yemi didn't mention how she had been playing around with the bracelet beforehand. It was just so pretty and Mama barely let it out of her sight. For good reason! Maybe its age had finally shown up or a bit of bad luck for her mama, but the next time Shuri slid it on her arm the bracelet broke apart. Either way, it was best not to mention her own involvement with its weakened state.

She placed the bracelet gently in her mother's hands. Her father had the gentlest expression she had ever seen. It was a two-fold gift, his mother's bracelet and his first gift to his wife.

Shuri covered her mouth, tears brimming in her eyes. "Aye, these babies oh are making me so emotional, but my precious daughter you're a joy. You pretty-eyed girl ... I cannot love you any more than I already do, so I'll just say thank you and postpone any punishment until later."

"Mama!"

Shuri laughed while her husband wiped the trail the tears had left with his thumb.

"You think I didn't notice a multiverse jumper missing from my lab? Oh no, missy, you must be quicker than that."

"Leave the child alone. She has done us a deep kindness." Ku'uk'ulkan released Shuri and kissed his daughter's forehead. "My little stingray is so resourceful. The other world treated you well, correct?"

Yemi leaned into his hug. "Yes, Baba. No need to drown anyone."

"Because if anyone dared to hurt you—"

"Baba!" She laughed. Her father was such a jokester, threatening to flood someone was one of his favorites. As if that man could hurt a seahorse!

Shuri clapped her hands and pushed them both toward the dining room in their family's private cavern. "Come on, you two. Go finish dinner while I polish my new old bracelet."

As Yemi piled her plate high with shrimp, she remembered the most startling thing from her trip.

She began. "Y'know something crazy?"

Shuri shared a look with her husband. Sighing, she said, "No, but you're going to tell us, aren't you?"

"Mama!"

"Go on dear," Namor said dryly.

"Well, in the universe I went to your counterparts weren't together. In fact, I think the other Shuri hated Baba. She called him Na—a terrible name."

To her surprise, neither parent looked alarmed. Shuri put down her cloth rag and the bracelet on the table while Ku'uk'ulkan pulled her chair closer.

Ku'ulkan squeezed Shuri's hand. "No matter the universe. Chaac has destined Ku'uk'ulkan and Shuri to be together.

Shuri snorted. "I don't know about what this guy is saying, but yeah. It's inevitable. Any Shuri is smart enough to know this."

"My queen, in any multiverse I would find you."

Yemi was as touched as her mother to hear those sweet words. But these were still her parents, so it was equal parts sweet and gross.

But for however hard and strange the journey was, the happiness on her parents' faces was well worth it.

END