33 - 34

33. Unexpected

Shuri made a mad dash to her room. Namor was visiting this week as a part of their co-parenting arrangement, but she had to get to him first.

She saw her bedroom door slightly open, knowing he had gotten to their son before her. She cringed. Who knew what type of advice he was giving their son? To burn the world? Kill his opposition? Poison his enemies?

Peeking through the door, she saw their son Amari sitting on Namor's lap, a streak of tears drying on his chubby cheeks.

"So, the children at your Wakandan school are making you feel sad about your ears?" Namor asked softly. "Did you not like your ears before?"

Amari sniffled and rubbed at his eyes. "No, I liked them before. They made me look like you."

"But now, their comments are breeding insecurity in you." At the boy's confused look, Namor simplified it. "They're making you feel sad about something you used to like."

He hugged Amari closer to him.

"I cannot tell you that the comments won't hurt anymore. But precious child, you can always vent to me. We can't change how others view us, but we can be proud of ourselves."

Shuri felt stunned. Of course, she didn't think Namor was an unintelligent man, but his methods could be violent. It just shocked her that he wasn't speaking of bloodshed. It was always harder for her to reconcile his moments of humanity.

"I know, Baba." Amari murmured looking down at his feet. "But I think I'm going to start wearing a hat to school."

A look of hurt flashed upon Namor's features before he kissed his son's forehead. "Do what you feel you must, but there's nothing wrong with you. Soon, you'll see this."

Amari hugged his father's brawny arm, and Shuri felt herself smile at the heartwarming scene.

"Mother of Amari, how long will you lean your ear against the door?" Namor called, knowingly. He hadn't seen her, but those ears of his could hear everything.

"I heard Mama too!" Amari declared, finally smiling. He didn't have his father's piercing eyes. Instead, his were innocent and round like gumballs.

"See, son. One of the benefits of these ears." Namor playfully pulled at the tip of Amari's ear.

Shuri ushered herself into the room, giving Amari a hug.

"Go wash up for bedtime. I need to speak to your father."

The little boy left to be accompanied by a Dora to his room.

"Queen, you have arrived," Namor said simply, crossing his leg. He had made a habit of floating through her bedroom window instead of entering through the palace entrance if only to avoid the more hostile looks from Wakandans. Well, it was his own fault.

Shuri pulled out a chair to sit on. "I'm not a queen."

"Yes, you still let that man rule in your place."

Shuri rolled her eyes. They had this conversation before, so she knew the typical beats. M'Baku was fine to lead as she had no desire to rule.

"Well, enough of that. I was surprised at how you comforted Amari."

His eyes were hard. "Why? You think me a monster incapable of emotion?"

She frowned. "No, I know you have emotions, and they're the very thing that drives you to reckless, permanent decisions. My hope is that Amari will lean more to logic than violence."

"A good leader knows how to balance their logic with feelings," Namor said, gently. "When we're driven too strongly to one side, we make poor decisions. I'm not immune to that."