47 - 48

47. Wife Antics

It wasn't as if he truly needed the sleep to sustain him. But if he was already half-asleep, he didn't like to break it.

Shuri poked him again. Once on his pec. Then his upper arm. His cheek.

Namor could hear her breathing.

"Ch'ah Tohhhh. Are you listening?"

He gave a punctuated yawn more for his benefit than actual fatigue.

"Yes, dear. It's late for you."

She laid on her back next to him in their king-sized bed. Naturally, she had grown tired of his hammock the first time it impeded their adult activities. Or, when she kept flipping out of it by accident for midnight trips to the restroom.

"Would you like me if I had no eyebrows?"

How could he have ever known what a night owl she was? They were still newlyweds, so he was learning all of her quirks and nighttime habits.

"..."

"Well?"

Anticipating the action, he blocked her hand from poking him.

With one eye open, Namor asked. "Do eyebrows determine attractiveness in Wakanda?"

"Not really. Sometimes." Shuri adjusted her bonnet from sliding down her forehead. "It's just weird if you don't have them but not bad. But would you like me without them?"

"Yes, Shuri. I want you in any form or measure you come in."

"Good. Not that I wouldn't shave my eyebrows if you didn't like it, anyway. But I appreciate that you're so accepting. I accept you too."

He could hear the smile in her voice.

Satisfied, Namor snuggled into his pillow.

"Ch'ah Toh?"

This time a tired sigh for real. "Yes, dear?"

"What if I grew gills?"

"You know every Talokan doesn't have gills—"

"I know that. But what if I grew them? I already have some of the Talokan herb in me. What if it's any day now? Hold that thought. Griot!" Shuri called out.

Namor rubbed his eyes. That obnoxious machine. It never seemed to have a silent mode.

"Yes, Queen Shuri?" Griot loudly chimed in the dark room. Namor tried to push his head further into the pillow. Curse his acute hearing.

"Remind me to do a full body scan of my DNA and monitor any abnormalities."

"Yes, Queen Shuri!" It confirmed.

"So, again if I had gills?"

"Then, I would lick them every night and kiss your neck! Rest, Shuri! If I'm exhausted, surely your mortal body is in worse shape."

Content and mischievous Shuri reached for his cheek, coaxing him out from his pillow fortress.

"Okay, last question. What if I turned blue—or plot twist Pink with purple polka-dotted skin?"

"Enough. Sleep." He turned on his side with his back facing her.

Suddenly, he almost went thrashing off the bed. Pouring ice on him would have been warmer! Shuri's frozen feet pressed against his bare back. He was only wearing sleeping shorts while his wife was in a nightgown.

"What? I was cold." She laughed

He whirled around and gave her a furious look.

"Don't trifle with me! Good night!"