16 - 17

16. Bait

"Oh Ku'uk'ulkan, I want you. Not the Feathered God. Just you the person, the protector. The man with so much life and determination behind those eyes. I want to kiss them and count each eyelash. Kiss away the storms and the frustrations of your mind. I know all you do to keep others safe, my king. But when have you had time to rest? To just be. To exist with no expectations other than to be loved.

I want you by my side. I want to be underneath you, aching for you. On top of you, riding. Panting your name, melting into bliss. I want your seed, your heirs. I want your tongue with the taste of me in your mouth.

You need only beg and desire me. Talokan will always be here, but this love of ours is now. If not your love, then give me the air in your lungs. Ku'uk'ulkan, I want to love you.

Please come see me soon! On the beach, just you and me. Let no one else witness our passion.

Your Panthress."

Shuri finished reading aloud.

"Dora?" she asked. Shuri needed opinions. With overseeing Wakanda's technological innovations, she knew her writing skills had gotten rusty. How much was beautiful, mushy, or cringy? Love poetry had a thin line to maneuver around.

One of her ladies, Aminata, a new recruit spoke, "Quite fine, princess. You're telling him what he wants to hear. I don't know many men who wouldn't melt with that." At first, Aminata was confused at her princess's request for her to attend a private council, but she had been told it was for security reasons. They needed to catch that underwater demon with as few casualties as possible. If deceitful words were the catalyst, then so be it.

Shuri wasn't convinced. "I need a male's perspective. M'Baku?"

M'Baku had a dumbfounded expression. Shuri was straight-faced as ever, stopping her typing. Not a bit of shame was radiating from her. Her laptop was in the center of the table, giving them all a clear view.

She acknowledged his wordless reply. "You're right. I'm laying it on a little thick." She backspaced on her keyboard.

"Ooh, tell him "wyd? come pull up" or my "parents aren't home," Riri jumped in, then immediately winced. "I'm sorry I didn't—"

Shuri waved her off. "Valiant effort but no. I doubt he'd know what WYD even meant. I'd literally have to spell it out."

"Ooh, princess tell him: 'draw me like one of your French girls' since you say he's an artist," Aneka suggested, smiling. She was the only one of the Dora Milaje who shared Shuri's love of random movie quotes and pop culture.

"Sorry, Aneka, but Namor probably hasn't seen the Titanic, and he would gag at any reference to French colonizers."

They had been at this all morning. So early that Shuri was still in a hoodie and shorts. But this was her inner circle, so she didn't feel the need to dress up. Shuri typed out and read the sappiest of letters to beckon Namor to their shores, and the others either affirmed or shot down the efforts. She was quickly learning she had a certain sway with him. He wasn't an unintelligent man, so she couldn't be too obvious with her letter. Striking the right balance was difficult!

"You're angelic in every way, you shine like the moon*," Okoye offered. She had acted so above this meeting of the minds to manipulate Namor, but she found herself getting invested."W'kabi said that to me once when he was courting me." Even still, the mention of her husband brought a tinge of sadness to her that only Shuri could recognize.

Another suggestion came. "No, write him: "only you feel on my body! You don't need no other body*."

"Akissi," Ayo gasped in indignation. "Do not allow our princess to degrade herself to this ... this foolishness. We should drag that degenerate from the depths of the ocean and arrest him on the sand. We need not leave crumbs for a mouse. Let him feel Wakanda's full wrath."