45 - 46

45. Festive

Namor held Shuri's hand until they reached his quarters, only releasing her hand to make the Talokan salute to his guards as they entered his bedroom.

She was breathless and giggling. So divine in his eyes.

"Princess, was the festival to your liking?" He asked, putting away the bag of goods Shuri had gotten from the many vendors. If there was something she wanted, how could he not get it for her?

"It was beautiful, Ch'ah Toh!" Shuri grinned. "All the lights under the sea are ... marvelous. And the food, and the dances, and the ... everything!"

He rubbed her back, wanting—needing to be near her.

"It's a lot to take in all at once, but next season you'll be more accustomed to it," He began. "I'm honored to see my world anew in your eyes. You're a part of my people, Shuri, so you will enjoy all that I have."

Shuri turned to him slightly, grasping his hand. "Next season?"

"As long as I reign, you're welcome here. Forever even." He meant every word.

Before he could gauge her reaction, Shuri walked to his nightstand. Pulling out some type of planted red berries, she held it in front of his face.

"I didn't want to get this soggy, so I didn't bring it with me," she told him.

"What's that?"

"A gift from the surface world, a mistletoe."

He questioned. "A fruit? Vegetable?"

"No, something else. You can only use it during the winter holiday season on the surface world."

She pressed a soft kiss against his lips. Shuri pulled back with low-lidded eyes, giving him the signal there was potential for more.

Namor took her chin in his hand, ready to deepen the kiss. "Should I ask what that was for?"

"I'm feeling festive, so I wanted to give my boyfriend a gift!"

He swept his mouth near her ear. "Then, princess, how I wish it were a holiday every day. Don't tempt me, or I'll make it so."

-------------------------

46. Gift Exchange

Shuri stared at the small, wrapped box apprehensively.

With only the twitch of his eyebrow alerting her to any unease, Namor stared back at her. It was afternoon and as chilly as Wakandan weather would allow—a moderate breeze and no beating sun rays.

She rubbed a blade of grass between her fingers still not making any movement toward it.

They were quite the pair – two royals sitting cross-legged in the grass. But the open-wide space of the park was neutral ground. In less confined spaces it was easier to breathe around him. To be herself. To be at peace.

Namor cleared his throat.

"Yes?"

"It's a gift, princess." He folded his hands and then unfolded them. Finally, he placed them upon his thighs.

She rotated the box in her hands. It was light and thin like a box holding a gift card.

"I can see that," she said, shaking it. There was a shifting noise.

Namor readjusted his Santa hat and the scarf at his throat. His Talokan jewels were hidden snugly underneath the yarn. Despite the oddness of it, he looked cozy. It almost made her smile.