The Key (Oneshot!)

"Princess, what do you think you're doing?" He sneered. "What are you looking for?"

Shuri didn't know how he managed to appear at the worst times. It was nighttime in Talokan. Perhaps. Their time passed differently. If not for her enhanced abilities and hearing, he would have spooked her. He's nearly caught her in the act, rummaging around his—their bedroom.

"The keys, dummy," she thought but knew better than to say aloud.

In seconds, they will all be dead, so Shuri does the only thing she can think of. Her knowledge of escape routes, where to pinch on the neck to knock someone out, and years of capoeira and taekwondo momentarily leave her. So, she kisses him.

They are in Namor's private room. She is wearing a set of poisonous earrings as a last resort. If she takes the earring back off, there should be enough poison to immobilize him until they can escape. But she can't fight him in these close corners. There's barely anything to bounce off or knock him into. The room is a wide-open space with little furniture. He's a frugal winged-fish man it seemed. Not to mention, she was in a jade Talokan dress. The jewelry albeit beautiful was heavy.

Nakia and the Dora Milaje were behind her in what seemed to be a closet. Namor had her pressed against a table.

She literally wanted to crawl out of her skin. To kiss her mother's indirect killer brought a variety of thoughts and feelings. But Wakanda needed to live to fight another day, and she was the clear embodiment of Wakanda now. So, she needed to live as well.

She didn't know which death would be quicker, one at his hands or his people.

Already she had extended more of herself than wanted. Being forced into an alliance and heavily persuaded into a marriage. The Wakandan elders cared for her as a daughter but none opposed Namor's proposal. They could only see the benefits without any thought to how she felt. Only the Dora Milaje and Nakia had raised a fuss. Those women were like her older sisters, and here, they were trying to save her from this sham of a marriage.

The ladies wore their midnight angel costumes and Nakia was fitted in a repurposed wet suit that she had been working on earlier. In any other circumstance, she would have been overjoyed to see them.

Despite that, the 3 or 4 weeks she had been captured—No, living here wasn't bad. Even comfortable. Serene. His people were always curious but kind. His warriors were less so but never violent with her.

Namor and she had an agreement. She was supposed to spend half her time in Talokan and the other in Wakanda. The exact duration still wasn't official as any flimsy whim caused him to increase her stay on his turf. Shuri didn't care. She signed for a month and a half, and that was all she intended to stay until the next contract renewal.

With the mess she had involved herself in, she didn't know when she'd be returning now.

She would've calmly bided the month she agreed to stay there (he had a lab built for her to keep her mind from going idle) until she knew about the Americans locked up. He was still perusing top-tier college campuses for vibraninum-detector creators. Riri wasn't the only smart one, but her design had been the best and most functional. It made her smile a little at how capable Riri (her friend? She sure hoped so. Life was isolating as a genius. And now she had someone who understood and could trade TikTok memes with) was. The native Chicago girl had cracked in a mere semester what took these seniors 4 years to do.

Were they ignorant of the destabilization and international political snafu this created? Yes. But they were still innocent. Just college kids, who didn't deserve to be executed or held in a cell. They had homes and families to return to.